Aam panna is a popular Indian beverage made with raw mangoes, sugar, and various spices. It is a refreshing drink that is especially popular during the summer months when mangoes are in season.
This is not only a delicious and refreshing drink, but it also has several health benefits. Raw mangoes are rich in vitamin C, which helps boost the immune system and improve skin health. The drink also helps to cool down the body and prevent heat stroke during the hot summer months.
To make this delicious drink, the raw mangoes are boiled until they are soft, and the pulp is then extracted and mixed with sugar, salt, cumin powder, and mint leaves. The mixture is then blended into a smooth paste, and water is added to make a refreshing drink. Some variations of the recipe may also include other spices like black pepper or cardamom.
Ingredients for aam panna
- 2 medium-sized raw mangoes
- 1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 4 cups water
- Ice cubes
- Mint leaves and lemon wedges (for garnish)
Instructions for aam panna
- Wash the raw mangoes and pressure cook or boil them until they become soft.
- Allow the mangoes to cool, then remove the skin and take out the pulp.
- Add the mango pulp, sugar, salt, cumin powder, and mint leaves to a blender.
- Blend until you get a smooth paste.
- Add 4 cups of water to the paste and blend again until it becomes a thin liquid.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness and saltiness as needed.
- Add ice cubes to the glasses and pour the aam panna over them.
- Garnish with mint leaves and lemon wedges.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
- As a refreshing drink: it is a perfect drink to cool down during the hot summer months. Simply pour the drink into glasses filled with ice and serve.
- As a welcome drink: You can serve as a welcome drink for guests at a party or gathering. Garnish with mint leaves and lemon wedges to make it look more appealing.
- With a meal: It goes well with spicy Indian dishes like biryani, kebabs, and curries. Serve it alongside your meal to help balance out the heat.
- As a mocktail: You can also make aam panna into a mocktail by adding soda or sparkling water to it. This will give it a fizzy texture and make it more refreshing.
- With snacks: this drink is also a great accompaniment to snacks like samosas, pakoras, and chaat. Serve it as a side to these snacks to enhance their flavors.
Tips and variations
- Adjust the sweetness: The amount of sugar you use will depend on your personal taste and the tartness of the mangoes. You can always add more sugar or reduce it based on your preferences.
- Add more spice: If you like your drink spicier, you can add more cumin powder, black pepper, or even red chili powder.
- Use different types of mangoes: While traditional aam panna is made with raw mangoes, you can also use ripe mangoes to make a sweeter version of the drink.
- Make it healthier: To make a healthier version, you can use jaggery instead of sugar, which is a natural sweetener. You can also skip the sugar altogether and add more mint and spices to enhance the flavor.
- Freeze it: It can also be frozen into popsicles for a fun and refreshing treat.
- Add herbs: In addition to mint, you can also add other herbs like basil, coriander, or ginger to give it a unique flavor.
- Use sparkling water: To give your aam panna a bubbly texture, you can replace regular water with sparkling water or soda water.
- Add fruits: To make a fruity variation, you can add chopped watermelon, cucumber, or pineapple to the drink.
- Is this only a summer drink?
Aam panna is popular during the summer months when mangoes are in season, but it can be enjoyed year-round.
- Can I make it with canned mango pulp?
While fresh mango pulp is preferred for making aam panna, you can also use canned mango pulp if fresh mangoes are not available.
- How long can I store it?
Aam panna can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. It is best to consume it within this time frame.
- Is aam panna healthy?
Aam panna is a healthy drink as it contains raw mangoes, which are a good source of vitamins and minerals. It is also low in calories and sugar compared to other soft drinks.
- Can I add alcohol to this drink?
While aam panna is traditionally a non-alcoholic drink, you can add a splash of vodka or rum to make it into a cocktail.
- Can I make this without a blender?
While a blender makes the process easier, you can also mash the mango pulp with a fork or a potato masher and then mix in the other ingredients to make aam panna.
- Is aam panna vegan?
Yes, aam panna is a vegan drink as it does not contain any animal products.
- Can I use frozen mangoes to make aam panna?
Yes, you can use frozen mangoes, but make sure to thaw them first before using them in the recipe.
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 1 g
Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 22 g
Sodium: 12 mg
Vitamin A: 23% of the Daily Value (DV)
Vitamin C: 34% of the DV
Calcium: 1% of the DV
Iron: 2% of the DV