Aloo gobi is a simple vegan dish composed primarily of potatoes and cauliflower. This curry is simple to prepare, filling, and flavorful. This hearty recipe, made with limited ingredients, is ideal for a weekend meal. It’s the quickest vegetarian or vegan dish you can create in under 30 minutes. Serve it as dinner on its own with Indian flatbread or basmati rice, or with other major meals like chicken curry or biryani.
The smell, when this is cooking, is amazing. A really rich and fragrant dish that smells, and tastes, like something you would get from your favorite Indian restaurant.
It is filling, nutritious, and inexpensive to prepare. Potatoes and cauliflower are affordable ingredients, and you probably already have tomatoes, herbs, and spices in your kitchen.
Ingredients for aloo gobi
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Instruction for aloo gobi recipe
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes and the cauliflower into medium-sized florets
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add potatoes and cook for a few minutes until they start to brown.
- Add cauliflower and cook for another few minutes.
- Add turmeric, coriander powder, and cayenne pepper (if using) and stir to coat vegetables.
- Add a little water to the pan, cover, and let simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve with rice or naan bread and garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Cut the vegetables into similar-sized pieces so they all cook at the same time.
- We don’t want caramelized onions, so cook them until they are barely transparent.
- Because this is a side dish, I don’t make it spicy, but you can add more cayenne pepper or red chili powder if you like.
How long will this aloo gobi last?
This aloo gobi will keep in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. You may also store it for up to a month in an airtight jar in the freezer.
Should I cook the vegetables for the cauliflower potato curry in oil?
This step is optional, but I strongly advise against skipping it. Frying them helps them cook perfectly without becoming mushy and also enhances the flavor of the dish. A little turmeric added when cooking also helps to give them a wonderful golden color.
How do you keep aloo gobi masala fresh?
Leftover aloo gobi can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. It also freezes well and can be kept in the freezer.
You Might Also Like:
- Paneer do pyaza recipe
- chicken chatpata recipe
- Oreo Mug Cake Recipe
- Paneer Dum Biryani Recipe
- Aloo paneer paratha recipe
follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and youtube