Beetroot rice is a dish made with rice and beetroot, which is a root vegetable known for its vibrant red color and earthy flavor. To make beetroot rice, the beetroot is typically grated or pureed and then cooked with the rice, along with other ingredients such as onions, garlic, and spices. The end result is a colorful and flavorful rice dish that is both nutritious and delicious.
Beetroot rice can be a great option for vegetarians and vegans as it is a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, including iron, folate, and manganese. It can also be a tasty and healthy way to introduce beetroot into your diet if you’re not used to eating it regularly.
There are many variations of beetroot rice, and it can be served as a side dish or as a main course. It can be enjoyed hot or cold, and it can be a great addition to a lunchbox or a picnic basket. Overall, beetroot rice is a delicious and nutritious dish that is worth trying out if you’re looking for new and exciting ways to incorporate more vegetables into your meals.
Ingredients for Beetroot rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 medium-sized beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
Instructions for Beetroot rice
- Rinse the basmati rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for 20 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot or pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the grated beetroot, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt to the pot, and stir well to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the soaked and drained rice to the pot, and stir gently to mix the rice with the beetroot mixture.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat, and let the beetroot rice sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
- Your beetroot rice is now ready to serve. You can garnish it with some fresh cilantro or chopped nuts, if desired. Enjoy!
- Serve it with a simple salad of fresh greens, tomatoes, and cucumbers for a light and healthy meal. Pair it with a spicy curry or a creamy dal for a more filling and satisfying meal.
- Top it with some roasted vegetables such as carrots or broccoli, and serve with some grilled chicken or fish for a complete and nutritious meal. Add a dollop of yogurt or raita on top of the beetroot rice for some creaminess and tanginess.
- Pack it in a lunchbox or take it on a picnic with some fruit, nuts, and a bottle of water for a healthy and portable meal.
Tips and variation
- Use a food processor or a box grater to grate the beetroot for quick and easy preparation.
- Soak the rice for at least 20 minutes before cooking to ensure that it cooks evenly and doesn’t stick together.
- Adjust the spice level to your liking by adding more or less of the spices, or adding some chili powder or red pepper flakes.
- If you want a more flavorful rice, you can cook it in vegetable or chicken stock instead of water.
- Stir in some chopped spinach or kale at the end of the cooking process for some extra greens.
- Use roasted or grilled beetroot instead of grated beetroot for a more intense flavor.
- Is beetroot rice healthy?
Yes, It is a healthy and nutritious dish that is packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Beetroot is known for its high levels of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, and it’s also a good source of iron, folate, and manganese.
- Can I make beetroot rice ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this rice ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, you can microwave it or heat it up in a pot or pan with a little bit of water or oil.
- Can I freeze beetroot rice?
Yes, you can freeze up to 2-3 months. To freeze, let it cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or a freezer-safe bag. To thaw, let it sit in the refrigerator overnight or heat it up in the microwave or on the stove.
- Can I use other types of rice rice?
Yes, you can use other types of rice, such as brown rice, jasmine rice, or basmati rice. Just adjust the cooking time and the amount of water accordingly.
- Can I make beetroot rice in a rice cooker?
Yes, you can make beetroot rice in a rice cooker. Just follow the instructions on your rice cooker and add the beetroot and spices along with the rice and water.