Puffed rice and sev (a vermicelli-like snack produced from gram flour) are used to make bhel puri, which is sold in Indian markets. These dry ingredients are combined with onions, potatoes, and chutney before being topped with papdi (savory biscuits made from flour). It is spicy, but also sweet, tart, and salty, and may be altered to enhance any of those flavors; the diversity of flavor is bhel puri’s beauty.
It is a tasty snack with many flavors and textures – sour, tangy, crispy, sweet, salty, and crunchy. i is a popular Indian street food that is made from puffed rice, vegetables, chutneys, and spices. Here’s a simple recipe to make this recipe at home:
Health benefits of bhel puri
- Good source of dietary fiber: It contains a variety of vegetables like onions, tomatoes, cucumber, and capsicum which are rich in dietary fiber. Fiber helps maintain digestive health, promotes regular bowel movements, and prevents constipation.
- Low in calories: It is a low-calorie snack that can help in weight management. Puffed rice and sev, the main ingredients of Bhel Puri, are low in calories and fat.
- Contains protein: It contains chickpeas and peanuts, which are good sources of plant-based protein. Protein is essential for muscle repair and growth.
- Provides essential nutrients: It is a good source of essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, iron, and potassium. These nutrients are important for maintaining good health and preventing deficiencies.
- May aid in digestion: Bhel Puri contains tamarind chutney, which is known to have digestive properties. Tamarind contains a compound called tartaric acid, which helps in digestion and can prevent constipation.
- 2 cups of puffed rice
- 1/2 cup of boiled potatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup of roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons of tamarind chutney
- 2 tablespoons of green chutney
- 1 teaspoon of chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- Sev (thin crispy noodles) for garnishing
- In a large mixing bowl, add the puffed rice, chopped potatoes, onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves, and roasted peanuts.
- Mix everything well, and then add the tamarind chutney and green chutney. Mix again to coat everything evenly.
- Season with chaat masala and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Serve the bhel puri immediately in bowls, topped with sev for extra crunch.
- Enjoy your homemade
- Serve this in small bowls or plates as a snack or an appetizer. You can garnish it with sev and coriander leaves for added flavor and crunch.
- You can also serve it as a light meal by adding more vegetables and protein. For example, you can add boiled chickpeas, sprouts, or tofu to make it more filling.
- Pair with a cup of hot masala chai or a refreshing glass of buttermilk to balance out the flavors.
- If you are hosting a party or a get-together, you can serve the bhel puri in a large bowl and let your guests help themselves.
- Puffed rice is the base ingredient. You can find it in any Indian grocery store or online.
- It is important to use fresh and crisp puffed rice for the best taste and texture of the dish. Stale puffed rice will make the bhel puri soggy.
- You can add or omit any vegetables of your choice. Some common vegetables used are boiled potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and boiled chickpeas.
- Roasted peanuts add a nutty and crunchy texture to the bhel puri. You can substitute them with cashews or almonds if you prefer.
- It is important to mix all the ingredients well so that the chutneys and spices are evenly distributed throughout the dish.
1 What is bhel puri?
- It is a popular Indian street food that is made from puffed rice, vegetables, chutneys, and spices.
2 What are the key ingredients in bhel puri?
- The key ingredients are puffed rice, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves, tamarind chutney, green chutney, roasted peanuts, and spices.
3 Is vegan?
- Yes, Bhel Puri is vegan as it contains no animal products.
4 Is gluten-free?
- Bhel puri is not gluten-free as it contains puffed rice, which is made from rice grains that contain gluten.
4. Can I make Bhel Puri in advance?
- It’s best to assemble and consume Bhel Puri immediately after mixing the ingredients to maintain its crispiness. If prepared in advance, it may lose its crunch.
5. Are there any variations of Bhel Puri?
- Yes, there are several regional variations of Bhel Puri, such as Puffed Rice Bhel, Jhal Muri, and Dahi Puri. These variations have unique ingredients and flavors.
6. What can I add for extra flavor in Bhel Puri?
- To enhance the flavor of Bhel Puri, you can add ingredients like boiled potatoes, raw mango, or even a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds for sweetness.
7. Can I make Bhel Puri without sev?
- While sev is a classic component of Bhel Puri, you can make a version without it if you prefer a healthier or gluten-free option.
8. Is Bhel Puri vegan-friendly?
- It can be vegan-friendly if you ensure that the chutneys and sev you use are free from animal-derived ingredients.
9. How long does it take to prepare Bhel Puri?
- it is a quick and easy snack to prepare. It typically takes around 15-20 minutes to assemble all the ingredients and mix them.
In this culinary journey, we’ve explored the delightful world of Bhel Puri, a dish that captures the essence of Indian street food. With this comprehensive recipe, you can recreate the magic of Mumbai’s bustling streets in your own kitchen. Whether you’re an avid foodie or just looking to try something new, Bhel Puri promises an adventure for your taste buds like no other.