Black Lentils (Kali Masoor ki Dal) cooked in the Instant Pot or stovetop. This simple and flavorful dal is vegan and gluten-free and pairs well with rice for a comforting meal.
Whole masoor dal is a lentil that is light brown in color on the outside, and orange in color on the inside (split masoor). Sabut masoor ki dal is usually made as a slightly thick curry. Some people also prefer to mash the dal to make its consistency thicker.
A popular dal in Punjabi households made real simple by adding the tarka to the raw dal before cooking it all in a pressure cooker. You can of course boil/cook the dal first and then add the tarka/vaghar on top.
Ingredients for Black Lentils (Kali Masoor ki Dal)
- 200-gram black Lentils (Sabut/kali Masoor Dal/Indian Brown Lentils)
- 2 Onions ( Medium Size)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1-Inch Ginger
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1–2 Green Chillies
- 1 Tablespoon Oil or Ghee
- salt as teste
- few Coriander Leaves
Instructions for Black Lentils (Kali Masoor ki Dal)
- Wash and rinse Whole or Kali Masoor Dal under cold running water until the water is clear.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add the cleaned entire masoor dal to it.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, and two to three glasses of water and Mix thoroughly.
- pressure cook for 10 to 12 minutes until the cooker makes three or four whistles.
- When there is no longer any steam, wait for the pressure cooker to cool before opening it. Dal needs to be tender but not mushy.
- On medium heat, heat a pan with some oil.
- Stir in the cumin seeds and watch them puff up. Add a pinch of asafoetida to the pan as well.
- Add two medium-sized sliced onions after that. For a few minutes, saute the onions.
- Add green chilli, ginger, and garlic paste to the mixture.
- Cook the mixture till golden brown, which shows that the onions have been cooked thoroughly.
- To the mixture, add chopped or pureed tomatoes. Cook it in the pan until the tomatoes are soft and the gravy begins to take on a rich color.
- Now, add Garam masala, asafoetida, red chilli powder, and coriander powder.
- There is no need to add salt or turmeric powder (haldi) because it was already added to the dal.
- Cook this gently until you notice the masala mixture beginning to release oil. By now, the tomatoes and onions ought to be tender.
- Mix in the cooked sabut masoor dal with this masala.
- For a few minutes, simmer the dal at a low to medium temperature.
- You can adjust the consistency of the dal by adding water as needed if it is too thick. Taste and add salt to taste as well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves or Kasuri methi as a garnish to Black Lentils (Kali Masoor ki Dal). Dal is prepared to go with a rice meal or some rotis.
Black Lentils (Kali Masoor ki Dal) goes very well when served with Basmati rice or Jeera rice and rotis. Whole Masoor Dal is quite filling and comforting and many times is eaten in the main course without any other vegetable dish.
- To make the dal more flavorful, you can add a teaspoon of ghee before serving.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro/coriander/dhaniya patta.
You can also add crushed Kasuri methi and a little cream to make it richer and creamier.
Also read: Bread Pizza Pockets Recipe
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube