Bread poha is a variation of Poha, with slices of bread added to the masala. A perfect quick new dish for kids and guests alike. The best thing about this bread poha recipe is that you can prepare this when you want to relish something delicious without making much effort.
his Veg bread Poha recipe is tasty, full of legumes, veggies, and garnished with peanuts. The best part about this bread poha recipe is that it is ready in under 30 minutes. An effortless and healthy snack for the kids, this veg bread poha recipe will become your favorite.
Bread upma is a quick, easy and tasty Upma variation made with bread cubes, onions, tomatoes, spices, and herbs. This savory bread upma comes together in 30 minutes and makes for a quick breakfast, brunch, or evening snack.
You can prepare this Bread Poha recipe on special occasions like office pot lucks, kitty parties and even on family get-togethers. Try this easy snack recipe at home and let us know in the comment section below if you liked it!
Ingredients for Bread Poha
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 6 to 7 curry leaves – chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) – optional
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
Instructions for Bread Poha
- To prepare this easy Bread Poha recipe, cut the bread slices into square pieces.
- You can use any kind of soft bread.
Dry toast bread slices on a pan until they turn slightly crunchy. Cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet or frying pan.
- Add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds and let them crackle and pop.
- When the seeds start spluttering add chopped onion. Stir and being to saute them.
- On a low to medium flame, saute the onions till they turn translucent and are softened.
- Add green chili, finely chopped ginger and 6 to 7 curry leaves.
- Stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, pinch of asafoetida (optional), and Mix very well.
- Now add salt to taste. saute this onion-tomato-spices mixture till the tomatoes soften.
- Add the bread cubes. Mix everything and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- On low to medium heat, saute the bread cubes for 4 to 5 minutes till they become slightly crisp from the edges.
- Then add lemon juice and coriander leaves in the end for a tangy taste. Mix everything.
- Your delicious bread upma is ready to be enjoyed.
While eating you can drizzle some lemon juice to brighten up the flavors. If making for an evening snack then you can serve tea or coffee with it.
You can also pack this tasty and healthy bread poha for lunch. If you are planning to host a house party, kitty party, birthday, or anniversary party, you can serve this veg bread poha or bread upma as an appetizer.
You can also serve a chutney like a tomato coriander chutney, mint chutney, or green mango chutney on the side.
Tips and Variations
- You can add any combination of veggies you like to your bread poha.
- Make this flavorful recipe with any variety of soft bread.
- Reduce or increase the amount of spices according to your taste buds.
- I recommend adding some roasted cashews or roasted peanuts as a garnish or mixed with the bread upma to add some crunch.
- Don’t skip toasting bread otherwise, the bread may turn soggy on getting cooked with tomatoes.
- This recipe can be easily halved or doubled or tripled.