Bread upma is a popular Indian breakfast dish made with bread and a variety of vegetables and spices. To make bread upma, bread slices are cut into small cubes and then sautéed with onions, tomatoes, green chilies, and other vegetables such as carrots and peas. The mixture is then seasoned with spices such as turmeric, cumin, and coriander powder, and garnished with fresh coriander leaves.
Bread upma is a quick and easy dish to prepare, and it can be customized to suit individual tastes by adding or omitting certain vegetables or spices. It can also be served as a snack or a light lunch. Overall, It is a tasty and nutritious dish that is enjoyed by many people in India and around the world.
By Following my recipe and tips and trying the serving suggestions you can elevate the flavors of your bread upma and make it a meal to remember.
Ingredients for bread Upma:
- 6 slices of bread
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, etc.), finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Instructions for Bread Upma:
- Cut the bread slices into small cubes and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add the chopped onion and green chili. Sauté until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the mixed vegetables and sauté for a few minutes until they are slightly cooked.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook until it turns mushy.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder (if using) and salt. Mix well.
- Add the bread cubes to the pan and mix gently until all the bread cubes are coated with the spice mixture.
- Cover the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until the bread is slightly crispy and golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Enjoy your delicious and easy bread upma!
Tips and Variations:
- Use slightly stale bread for best results. Fresh bread can become mushy when cooked with the vegetables and spices.
- Cut the bread into small, bite-sized pieces to ensure that they cook evenly.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice in the upma. Just make sure to chop them finely so that they cook quickly.
- Adjust the amount of spices according to your taste. You can add more or less of any spice depending on your preference.
- If you like your upma spicy, you can add more green chilies or red chili powder.
- Make sure to cover the pan while cooking the upma to prevent the bread from drying out.
- Garnish the upma with fresh coriander leaves for added flavor and a pop of color.
Serve bread upma with coconut chutney, tomato chutney, or coriander chutney for a delicious breakfast or brunch. You can also serve upma with plain yogurt or raita for a cool and refreshing contrast to the spicy dish. drizzle some lemon juice over the upma before serving for a tangy twist.
You can also serve bread upma as a side dish with your favorite curry or dal for a hearty lunch or dinner. Top the upma with some grated cheese before serving for added flavor and texture. Add some roasted cashews or peanuts for a crunchy texture and nutty flavor.
- Can I use any type of bread?
Yes, you can use any type of bread. However, it is best to use slightly stale bread as fresh bread can become mushy when cooked with vegetables and spices.
- Can I make bread upma ahead of time?
The upma is best served fresh and hot. However, you can prepare the vegetables and spices ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve, simply cook the bread with the prepared vegetables and spices.
- Is bread upma a healthy dish?
Bread upma can be a healthy dish if you use whole wheat bread and add plenty of vegetables to the dish. However, it is also high in carbohydrates and can be high in calories depending on the amount of oil used. To make it healthier, you can use less oil and add more vegetables.
- Can I make it without vegetables?
Yes, you can make it without vegetables. Simply skip the step of adding vegetables and proceed with the rest of the recipe as usual. However, adding vegetables to the dish makes it more nutritious and flavorful.
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube