Carrot chutney is a condiment that is made from carrots, spices, and other ingredients. It is a popular dish in Indian cuisine and is often served as a side dish or accompaniment to various main dishes.
To make carrot chutney, the carrots are first cooked until they are soft and then blended with spices like ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, and red chili powder. Some variations of the recipe may also include ingredients like coconut, tamarind, or yogurt.
It is typically served as a dip or spread and can be paired with various dishes such as rice, dosa, idli, or even sandwiches. It is a nutritious and flavorful way to incorporate carrots into your diet, as they are a rich source of vitamins and antioxidants.
Ingredients for Carrot chutney
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
Instructions for Carrot chutney
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter, add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the grated carrots and cook until they are soft.
- Add grated coconut and salt. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Once cooled, blend the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl and serve with your favorite dish.
- Enjoy your delicious carrot chutney!
Carrot chutney goes well with traditional South Indian dishes like dosa, idli, uttapam, vada, and Pongal. You can also spread it on a sandwich or wrap it as a healthy and flavorful alternative to mayonnaise or mustard.
Serve carrot chutney with steamed rice or pulao for a delicious and nutritious meal. Serve It as a side to roasted or grilled vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, or sweet potatoes. Mix carrot chutney with some yogurt or sour cream to create a flavorful dressing for salads.
Tips and Variations
- If you prefer a milder chutney, reduce the number of green chilies or skip them altogether. On the other hand, if you like your chutney to be spicier, add more green chilies or use a spicier variety.
- You can customize the flavor by adding different spices like turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, or curry leaves.
- If the mixture is too thick, you can add some water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Add some jaggery or sugar to the mixture to create a sweet and tangy version.
- Add some fresh mint leaves to the mixture for a refreshing and aromatic flavor.
- Squeeze some lemon juice over the chutney before serving for a citrusy kick.
- Is carrot chutney healthy?
Yes, carrot chutney is a healthy condiment that is packed with nutrients like vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. Carrots are known for their many health benefits, including improved vision, healthy skin, and a stronger immune system.
- How long can I store it?
Carrot chutney can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days. You can also freeze the chutney for up to a month.
- Can I make carrot chutney without coconut?
Yes, you can make it without coconut. Instead, you can add other ingredients like roasted peanuts or sesame seeds to create a similar texture and flavor.
- Can I use this chutney as a marinade?
Yes, you can use it as a marinade for meats or vegetables. The spices and flavors in the chutney will add a delicious twist to your dish.
- Can I use frozen carrots for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen carrots for this recipe. However, fresh carrots are preferred as they have a better texture and flavor. If you do use frozen carrots, make sure to thaw them before cooking.
In conclusion, carrot chutney is a delightful and versatile condiment that adds a burst of flavor and a touch of sweetness to a wide range of dishes. With its vibrant color, rich taste, and numerous health benefits, it’s a wonderful addition to any meal. Whether you serve it as a dip, a spread, or a side, this carrot chutney is sure to elevate your culinary experience and leave your taste buds wanting more. So, why wait? Give this simple yet flavorful recipe a try, and enjoy the delicious, wholesome goodness of homemade carrot chutney.