Cheese dosa is an easy and tasty dosa variety made with leftover dosa batter, cheese, onions and herbs.
This cheese dosa recipe works very well as an after-school snack for kids or as a morning breakfast. All you need is some Dosa batter and cheese. It is also a street food snack served in cities like Mumbai.
however grated cheddar cheese is topped on top of dosa very similar to any pizza recipe. later it is rolled similar to masala dosa and then cut into 2 halves to be served with sambar, and chutney.
I used shredded mozzarella cheese and homemade dosa batter to prepare this dosa. You can use homemade dosa batter or store-bought dosa batter to make this easy dosa with added cheese.
If you are having idli batter with you, you can easily prepare dosa batter by slightly thinning down the batter by adding a little more water.
You can choose any veggie your kids or family likes and add on the dosa. This time I only had onions & tomatoes, so just added that. At times I just add some grated cheese and herbs to the dosa. Sometimes I add some grated carrots, capsicum, tomatoes, and onions.
- ½ cup idli rice (parboiled rice or regular rice)
- ¾ cup urad dal
- 2 tablespoons poha (flattened rice)
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- ¾ cup of water (do add water as required) – for grinding
- 1.5 cups of water – for soaking
- ½ teaspoons salt may adjust the amount
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated cheese (can use processed cheese or mozzarella cheese.)
- Oil for making dosa
Wash the rice and lentils (urad dal and fenugreek seeds) separately, and keep them aside in different vessels.
- firstly, in a large bowl soak idli rice and 1 tsp methi for 5 hours. (You can use water just enough to cover the rice.)
In another vessel, soak the lentils. Again, use water just enough to cover the lentils.
In a separate bowl, take the flattened rice.
- Rinse it once or twice in water and soak the poha by adding enough water for 6 hours
- Soaking will result in the fermentation of the grains and dal.
- Drain all the water and add the soaked ingredients in a wet grinder jar. you can use mixi if you are comfortable.
- Add ⅔ to ¾ cup water and grind till you get a fine grainy consistency of rice in the batter.
- Depending on the jar capacity, you can grind everything once or in two batches.
Now take the batter in a large bowl or pan.
- Add ½ tsp salt. Mix very well.
- cover and allow to ferment for 8 hours in a warm place.
A proper fermentation will double or triple up the volume of the batter and you will see tiny air pockets in the batter with a light sour aroma.
- now mix the batter gently and use the batter to prepare dosa.
Preparation for dosa
- Finely chop 1 large onion and 1 large tomato.
- Also, grate the cheese and keep it aside.
- Take the batter and with a spoon stir a few times.
Spreading Dosa Batter To Make Cheese Dosa
- Heat a skillet or tawa. Grease it with oil.
- pour a ladleful of the dosa batter on it and spread it in a circular motion thin circle.
- Cook on a low flame.
- Drizzle the oil on the dosa.
- When the top is getting cooked, sprinkle some chopped onions on top.
- Then add some chopped tomatoes.
Making Cheese Dosa
- Sprinkle grated cheese all over. The cheese will start melting
- Cook till the base becomes nicely golden and the top of the dosa is also cooked well.
- Then lift the cheese dosa. Fold a part of one side. Overlap the second part.
- So you get a neatly folded cheese dosa.
- Now remove and serve immediately.
Serve butter cheese dosa with coconut chutney or sambar. You can also serve it with tomato chutney or onion chutney. If you want you can slice the cheese dosa and serve.
Cheese dosa tastes yum with sour cream dip.
Also read: Dosa recipe (step by step)
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube