Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe is a popular Mangalorean dish, a thick masala Chicken preparation prepared in Ghee roasted spices. It’s a wonderful amalgamation of flavors-tangy, a bit of sweetness and generously spicy.
This Mangalore style chicken ghee roast is a popular restaurant-style dish, but it is simple and you can make it at home. The taste is delicious with complex flavors all melding into each other and ghee gives this recipe its an authentic flavor.
A boneless version for this ghee roast can also be served as an appetizer and is specially good for at large parties. It is made by dry roasting spices and then grinding it to a smooth paste, the masala is tossed in chicken and cooked in ghee to create authentic flavour and taste.
A lovely taste and aroma of fresh ghee gently caresses your taste buds all along while you are digging into this dish. Trust me if you haven’t tasted this dish yet then you are missing out a culinary gem.
- 1 kg Chicken cut into small pieces
- Curd – 1/2 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
To roast and make a paste
- Kashmiri chilli dry – 6 nos
- Peppercorn – 8nos
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
- Cumin – 1/2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 2tsp
- Garlic cloves – 3 cloves
- Ginger chopped – 1tbsp
- Lemon juice or Tamarind Pulp – 2tbsp
- Water – a dash
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Onion chopped – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt – to taste
- We will start with Chicken marination. In a large bowl, add the chicken, Turmeric Powder, Salt, and mix well. Add Curd and whisk well. Keep aside for 15 mins.
- Take red chillies, cloves, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin and saunf to the pan. toss for a minute and remove it. Mix with garlic, ginger, lemon juice and a dash of water.
- Grind and make it into a fine paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a kadai. Add the chicken and stir fry for 5 to 8 mins till the chicken is cooked half way. Remove and set aside.
- Now In a fresh pan and pour desi ghee, chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes. To the same pan add chilli & spice paste.
- Add salt as required, some curry leaves and stir fry for 4 to 5 mins till oil separates.
Add in tamarind pulp and stir fry for one more minute.
Add chicken back in stir well to combine.
- Continue frying for about 10 minutes and add powdered jaggery and mix well. Taste for salt and adjust if it is less.
- The chicken should be completely cooked by now and should get coated with a thick layer of masala. You will also see the ghee floating along with the masala.
- Garnish with curry leaves or coriander and serve hot.
Serve Chicken Ghee roast with Neer Dosa or Appams. You can also serve it with Steamed Rice with a dollop of ghee and Sambhar on the side.
Tips to make best Chicken Ghee Roast
- Grind the masala till very smooth.
- Take care to roast the spices in low heat, else it may get burnt and turn bitter.
- Use chicken with bones for best flavour.
- Make sure you cook the whole dish in ghee for best flavour.
- Cook the chicken low and slow in the spices so it stays soft.
- If you have dry whole kashmiri chilli and whole coriander seeds use that when roasting.
|Vitamin C||120 mg|
Follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube