Chili mushroom recipe, a restaurant-style Indian Chinese mushroom starter that’s crisp with sweet, sour, and spicy flavors.
One of my favorite snack recipes is chili mushroom. Fresh mushroom pieces are shallow fried till golden brown with a light batter coating. They are cooked with flavorful aromatics and scorching green chiles before being served hot and crispy, ready to be paired with your preferred dipping sauce.
Simple, healthy, and delicious, this chili mushroom recipe will become your go-to for the days you are in the mood for something light and tasty.
You will enjoy this Indian appetizer of Chinese mushrooms, which are chili mushrooms, which are the epitome of comfort food. It is an addicting mushroom appetizer because it bursts with various flavors and textures in every bite
Ingredients for chili mushroom
- 200 gm chopped mushroom
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 2 to 3 green chilies
- 2 medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped capsicum chopped into squares
- Tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- salt as required
- crushed black pepper as required
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- oil – for shallow frying mushrooms,
Instructions for chili mushroom
- Soak the mushrooms in some lukewarm water for some time and then drain the excess water.
- Then take another bowl and mix together the cornflour, all-purpose flour, salt, soy sauce, vinegar, and pepper powder in it. Mix everything well
- Add the washed and drained mushrooms into the batter and ensure it’s well coated.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
- Place each mushroom into the hot oil, reduce the flame to medium-high, and deep fry till golden brown.
- Fry the batter-coated mushrooms in batches and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- In another wok (kadai) or pan, heat toasted sesame oil.
- Once the oil turns hot, add the chopped garlic and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the ginger and green chilies and stir fry on high for a few more seconds.
- Now Add the chopped onion and saute for a minute.
- Add sliced capsicum and stir fry on high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the onions turn slightly translucent, add the red chili sauce and little water, if desired.
- Reduce the heat. Add the salt, sugar, and black pepper and stir fry for half a minute.
- Add the fried batter-coated mushrooms and stir on low to medium heat.
- Add 5-6 tbsps of water and adjust salt if necessary and mix well.
- Mix very well and sauté for a minute or two. Continue to stir.
- Remove to a serving plate and garnish with spring onion greens. Serve hot as a starter with tomato sauce.
Garnish with coriander leaves and spring onions. Pair it with cola or any other chilled beverage. Enjoy!
You can also serve the chili mushroom hot with veg fried rice, bread, or even roti or naan.
Remove to a serving plate and garnish with spring onion greens. Serve hot as a starter with tomato sauce.
Serve stovetop chili mushroom gravy hot with fried rice, noodles, or steamed rice. This spicy dish also goes well with bread or buns.
Tips and Variations
- First, chop the mushroom into the shape of your choice.
- Feel free to use less or add more of the green chiles to taste.
- If you are fond of the smokiness of onion, and garlic, then stir fry these ingredients on high flame.
- You can also use this dish as a stuffing for your rolls like Kathi Roll, and Veg Spring rolls or as a mix for your homemade fried rice.
- The batter should be thick and should coat the mushrooms before deep frying. Do not let the mushrooms sit in the batter. Dip, coat, and immediately deep fry.
Q: What are the ingredients used in Chilli Mushroom?
A: The main ingredients used in Chilli Mushroom include button mushrooms, onions, capsicum (bell pepper), garlic, ginger, green chilies, soy sauce, vinegar, cornflour, and a blend of spices such as cumin, coriander, and red chili powder.
Q: How is Chilli Mushroom cooked?
A: Chilli Mushroom is typically made by deep-frying the mushrooms until they are crispy and then cooking them in a spicy sauce made with onions, capsicum, garlic, ginger, and green chilies. Soy sauce, vinegar, and a blend of spices are added to the sauce to give it a savory and spicy flavor. Corn flour is used to thicken the sauce.
Q: Is Chilli Mushroom spicy?
A: Yes, Chilli Mushroom is a spicy dish. The dish includes green chilies and red chili powder, which add heat to the dish. However, you can adjust the amount of chili powder or green chilies to make the dish less spicy.
Q: What can I serve with Chilli Mushroom?
A: Chilli Mushroom is typically served as an appetizer or a side dish. It can be served with a side of steamed rice or noodles.
Q: Can I make Chilli Mushrooms with other vegetables?
A: Yes, you can make Chilli Mushrooms with other vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, or baby corn. You can also make a mixed vegetable Chilli by adding a variety of vegetables to the dish.
You Might Also Like:
- Paneer do pyaza recipe
- chicken chatpata recipe
- Oreo Mug Cake Recipe
- Paneer Dum Biryani Recipe
- Aloo paneer paratha recipe
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube