Chocolate lava cake is also known as choco lava cake and molten chocolate cake the recipe is straightforward and has whole wheat flour and cocoa powder.
You won’t believe how easy it is to make molten chocolate lava cakes at home. They are the perfect individual desserts that are purposefully slightly undercooked, resulting in a gooey and melty chocolate center that oozes out when you cut into it.
You can make the recipe in ramekins or aluminum foil cups. You can also use muffin liners or a muffin tray. If you use muffin liners or muffin trays, you won’t be able to remove the lava cake from it.
A delicious indulgence for every occasion yet easy for everyday dessert! Classic chocolate lava cake made with a few simple ingredients. So decadent, you just can’t resist another bite.
Ingredients of Chocolate Lava Cake
- ½ cup maida/ all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sugar (about 5 to 5.5 tablespoons sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup unsalted butter or oil
- ¾ cup milk
- Small cups (ramekins or aluminum molds)
Instructions for Chocolate Lava Cake
- First, grease the Small cups (ramekins or aluminum molds) with oil very well and dust them with cocoa powder. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius/395 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now, take a sieve and add ½ cup maida (whole wheat flour).
- Then add cocoa powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt.
- Sift the dry ingredients directly into the bowl.
- also, add1 a teaspoon of vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and ¼ cup of oil or butter.
- Mix everything properly.
- further, add half a cup of milk and them Using a spoon or a wired whisk mix very well.
- gradually add more milk until the batter is well combined and smooth.
- Do not over do the mixing. The batter for this lava cake recipe has medium-thin consistency.
- Pour the lava cake batter into the greased ramekins till ⅔ of their volume.
- also, place 3 chocolate pieces in the center of each cup. Use chocolates that are firm and hard.
- With a spoon or wired whisk lightly press them so that they get immersed in the batter.
- Place the ramekins in the center rack of the oven. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until the sides of the cakes are firm set but the center is jiggly.
- Baking time varies with various oven makes and models, so it can take less than 30 mins or more than 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick on the sides of the cake and it should come out clean.
- allow it to cool for about 5 minutes before removing it.
- Then with a butter knife gently loosen the edges from the top.
- Place a small dessert plate over the top of each ramekin and carefully turn it over, inverting the cake onto the plate.
- Remove the ramekin gently and the cake gets unmolded easily.
- additionally, sprinkle powdered sugar on top to decorate.
- Serve immediately.
Sift some cocoa powder or powdered sugar on top through a sieve. You can also serve molten lava cake with ice creams like vanilla ice cream or chocolate ice cream or mango ice cream or some berries or fruits by the side.
Choco lava cakes have to be served hot or warm. once they cool, the molten chocolate solidifies. But even at room temperature, these lava cakes taste good.
So many toppings pair wonderfully with these chocolate lava cakes. Here are a few of our favorites:
- chocolate ganache
- red wine chocolate ganache
- ice cream
- melted peanut butter
- salted caramel
- whipped cream
- mocha whipped cream from our flourless chocolate cake recipe
- fresh berries
Tips and Variations
- Instead of ramekins, muffin cups or liners can be used. Aluminum foil based muffin cups also can be used.
- use small cups, else you must add more chocolate pieces inside.
- For the chocolate, you can use sweet, semi-sweet, bittersweet, or milk chocolate.
- also grease the moulds well else, will be difficult to unmould.
- additionally, use wheat flour in place of maida for a more healthy choco lava cake.
- Make sure the oven is fully heated before adding the ramekins inside.
- Keep a very close eye on the lava cakes in the oven as you do not want them to overbake. The center should still be jiggy.
- finally, if you want to serve eggless choco lava cake later, serve it by heating it in the microwave.