Corn Salad is an easy, tasty, and healthy recipe of salad made with sweet corn, cucumber, onion, spices, and herbs. It’s one of the ultimate summer side dishes!
Juicy sweet corn kernels are used in many recipes and are commonly found in salads. Corn salad is one such simple recipe where sweet corn kernels are mixed with various fresh vegetables and herbs and sprinkled with pepper and salt.
I make this salad with different combinations of spices and add various veggies. Carrots and beetroots go very well. Even tomatoes can be added. Veggies are free of your choice. It is a flavorful way to get your veggie intake.
Ingredients for corn salad
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Corn Kernels
- ½ cup diced Onion
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup diced Tomato
- 1 chopped green chili
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- salt as required
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves.
Instructions for corn salad
- In a pressure cooker, Add 1.5 cups water along with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Now add the corn and pressure cook for 4-whistles over medium flame or grill the corn.
- Let the corn cobs become warm or cool down.
- Remove corn kernels from the corn using a sharp knife.
- Add the corn kernels to a mixing bowl.
- Add ½ cup diced cucumber, ½ cup diced tomato, ½ cup diced onion, 1 chopped green chilli and 2 tablespoons chopped coriander.
- Sprinkle ¼ tsp red chilli powder or cayenne pepper and ¼ tsp roasted cumin powder.
- Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder and salt to taste.
- Now add ½ to 1 tsp lemon juice. Add lemon juice as per your taste preferences.
- Mix and toss everything very well.
- Corn salad is ready. Serve it as an accompaniment.
Tips and Variations
- I have used fresh sweet corn. Though even tinned corn is used.
- You can also cook them in a pan. Add the corn cobs and water to a pan. Cover and cook till the corn kernels become tender.
- Add more water if required while cooking.
- Sometimes I also add 1 to 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil. If you want you can also add virgin olive oil too.
Q: Can I use grilled corn for the salad?
A: Absolutely! Grilled corn adds a delicious smoky flavor to the salad. Simply grill the corn on a hot grill or stovetop grill pan until charred, and then remove the kernels to use in the salad.
Q: Can I use a different type of onion instead of red onion?
A: Yes, if you don’t have red onion, you can use other types of onions such as white onion or sweet onion. The choice of onion can affect the flavor, so choose one that suits your taste preferences.
Q: Can I make the salad in advance?
A: Yes, you can prepare the ingredients for the corn salad in advance and store them separately in the refrigerator. However, it’s best to combine the ingredients and dress the salad just before serving to maintain freshness and crispness.
Q: Can I serve the corn salad warm?
A: While corn salad is traditionally served chilled, you can serve it at room temperature if desired. Warm corn salad can be a delicious option, especially if using freshly grilled corn.
Q: How long can I store the leftover corn salad?
A: Leftover corn salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. However, keep in mind that the salad might lose some of its crispness over time.
Also read: Chocolate Coffee Recipe (2 ways)