Dabeli is an extremely popular Gujarati street food snack recipe made with Indian pav bread and stuffed with a unique blend of masala. It is a spicy, tangy, and sweet potato filling inside a bun – called pav, drizzled with a spicy and sweet chutney and some pomegranate, grapes, onions, and sev (fried gram flour vermicelli).
Dabeli is also called as kutchi dabeli or kachchhi dabeli or kacchi dabeli. It’s a very popular street snack and can be easily found in Mumbai as well as Gujarat. And with its spicy tangy taste and easy process, it has become famous all over India.
The Aloo masala can differ from person to person, but the ingredients are almost the same. You just need everyday ingredients to make this one, so do give this one a try.
Ingredients for Dabeli
The Dabeli Masala:
- 3 dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 6-7 cloves
- ½ cup garlic cloves – chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to Taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 potatoes medium sized (boiled, peeled, and mashed)
- ½ cup Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind Chutney
- ¼ cup Dabeli Masala
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons Pomegranate Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Coriander
- Salt to taste
- 5-6 Pav
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup Tamarind Chutney
- ¼ cup Garlic chutney
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ cup Nylon Sev
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
Instructions for Dabeli
Making the Dabeli masala
- Dry roast the ingredients in a skillet over low heat until fragrant.
- add all the ingredients to a dry grinder.
- blend to a fine powder and dabeli masala is ready. keep aside.
- You will have some powder left even after adding it to dabeli. You can use it in some veggies or rice recipes.
- In a wet grinder add the Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Grind to a smooth paste. Add water if required while grinding.
- keep aside.
Making potato filling
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker.
- Peel and mash them and keep them aside.
- Add onion and fry until it turns transparent and soft.
- Add the tamarind chutney to the onions and mix well.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and dabeli masala and fry for a minute.
- Add mashed potatoes, and salt and mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring the mixture.
- Transfer the stuffing to a plate.
- Sprinkle some grated coconut on the potato filling.
- Also, Add some chopped coriander and pomegranate seeds or grapes or both. I did not have grapes at home.
Frying the slices of bread
- Slice the bun or pav into two. On a tava or griddle, melt some butter and lightly roast the buns or pav in butter. Keep aside.
To assemble the dabeli
- Take the buns on a plate
- Apply the tamarind chutney on one slice of the bun and the garlic chutney on the other side.
- Take a slice of the prepared potato filling and put it on top of one of the slices of bread.
- Top with some roasted peanuts.
- Add some coriander and pomegranate seeds.
- The last topping is of sev. You can also roll the stuffed buns in the sev.
- Cover with the other slice of bread. Serve hot.
Serve these beautiful, yummy and gorgeous street food snacks to your loved ones. Also, Serve with more masala peanuts & chopped onion.
Serve the Gujarati Dabeli as a tea time snack or for a chaat party along with Sev Puri Recipe and Dahi Bhalla Papdi Chaat Recipe when you have some friends and family over.
You can prepare the Potato Masala and store in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, in an airtight container. You can also prepare garlic Chutney and Tamarind Chutney and store them in the fridge.
Whenever you want to prepare it, just cut the Pav from the middle, smear the chutneys, add the potato masala, top with sev, onions, pomegranates, and toast on tawa using butter.
Tips and Variations
- firstly, you can prepare the masala powder in large quantity and store in an airtight container.
- Dabeli masala powder is easily available in the indian metros. So you could use ready dabeli masala.
- also, stuff the aloo mixture and toast just before serving.
- Other variation is to add pav bhaji masala instead of dabeli masala.
- Lastly to add more spice, add spiced or masala peanuts instead of plain peanuts.
- Instead of garlic chutney, you can also use mint coriander chutney.
- Keep all the elements ready. Assemble Dabeli just before serving.
Also read: Puran Poli recipe – Recipes Plaza