Daliya Pulao, also known as cracked wheat pulao, is a delightful medley of cracked wheat, vegetables, and aromatic spices. This dish not only satiates the palate but also packs a nutritional punch, making it an ideal choice for the health-conscious.
Daliya Making pulao in the Instant Pot pressure cooker or on the stovetop is a nutritious, wholesome dish that is rich in iron and fiber. Broken wheat pulao is a very nutritious and easily digestible meal. It’s liked by both children as well as adults.
Daliya pulao simple, healthy, and comforting one-pot meal that is made with dalia (broken wheat), fresh vegetables, and some aromatic whole spices.
Daliya is cracked or broken wheat. It is made by coarsely milling whole grains of wheat. It is rich in fiber and has many health benefits. You can find it in different forms – some are quite big which can be a good substitute for rice while some are quite small or fine which is good to make porridge or kheer.
In North India, it is known by the name Daliya. It is also referred to as cracked wheat samba rava broken wheat or godhuma rava
Ingredients of Daliya pulao
- 1 cup plain Broken Wheat
- 1 cup mixed Vegetables (cauliflower/carrots/capsicum/ green peas)
- Cumin seed – ½ small spoon
- 3 Green Chillies
- 5 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- Asafetida – 1 to 2 pinch
- Salt – As per taste
- Coriander – one tablespoon
Instruction for daliya pulao
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 tsp of oil and lightly roast the broken wheat for around 1 min.
- Break the wheat into a dish.
- Add the remaining oil to the cooker and add asafetida and cumin seed to the oil. After the cumin seed has been fried, mix green chili, ginger, onion, and tomato in it.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes while stirring.
- After the tomato has become soft, mix cauliflower, capsicum, green pea, carrots, and salt.
Then add mixed vegetables, and cook for a minute.
Add turmeric,garam masala, coriander powder, broken wheat, salt, and water and mix well.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn the pressure valve to the sealing position.
- On a medium-high flame, blow four times, then extinguish it. Allow the pressure to naturally decrease.
Once the pressure has been. released, open the lid, juice the half lemon, and mix well.
- Take it out in a bowl and garnish it with the remaining coriander.
Tips and Variations
- Roasting the Dalia allows it to develop flavor and not become mushy.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice for making this Pulao like potato, bell pepper, cauliflower, etc.
- If you are making this dish for kids, you can reduce the spices slightly and increase the water content.
- To make a vegan Dalia khichdi use coconut oil or vegetable oil for cooking rather than ghee.
Store the leftover khichdi in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 days. Add ⅛ to ¼ cup of water to the khichdi while reheating to get the desired consistency. You can reheat Dalia Khichdi on a stovetop or microwave.
Daliya pulao is best enjoyed fresh and piping hot with a flavorsome bowl of mint raita, kachumber salad, papad, and homemade mango pickle.
Some of my favorite side dishes to serve with khichdi are masala potato fry and Gujarati Kadhi.
Health Benefits of Daliya Pulao
Daliya Pulao isn’t just a treat for your taste buds; it’s a nutritional powerhouse. Packed with fiber from cracked wheat and an array of vitamins and minerals from vegetables, this dish supports digestive health and provides a boost to your overall well-being.
Weight Management Ally
For those on a weight management journey, Daliya Pulao is a savior. Its high fiber content keeps you feeling full for longer, curbing unnecessary snacking and promoting healthy eating habits.
The low glycemic index of cracked wheat makes this pulao an excellent choice for individuals managing diabetes. It helps regulate blood sugar levels, contributing to stable energy throughout the day.
Q1: Is Daliya Pulao Suitable for Weight Management?
A: Yes, Daliya Pulao is an excellent option for weight management. The high fiber content in cracked wheat promotes a feeling of fullness, helping control calorie intake. It can be a valuable addition to a balanced diet for those aiming to manage or lose weight.
Q2: Can I Make Daliya Pulao in Advance?
A: Certainly! Daliya Pulao can be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat it on low heat before serving to retain its flavors and texture.
Q3: Is Daliya Pulao Diabetes-Friendly?
A: Absolutely! The low glycemic index of cracked wheat makes Daliya Pulao a diabetes-friendly option. It helps regulate blood sugar levels, making it a suitable choice for individuals managing diabetes.
Q4: Can I Add Protein to Daliya Pulao?
A: Yes, you can enhance the protein content of Daliya Pulao by adding cooked chicken, paneer, or tofu. This not only adds a protein boost but also introduces new flavors to the dish.
Q5: What Spices Are Essential for Daliya Pulao?
A: The essential spices for Daliya Pulao include cumin seeds, coriander powder, and garam masala. These spices contribute to the rich and aromatic flavor profile of the dish.
Q6: Can I Make Daliya Pulao Vegan?
A: Absolutely! To make Daliya Pulao vegan, use vegetable oil instead of ghee, and ensure that the spices and other ingredients are free from animal products.
- Cinnamon Tea for Weight Loss
- chicken chatpata recipe
- Oreo Mug Cake Recipe
- Paneer Dum Biryani Recipe
- Aloo paneer paratha recipe