Dalia is regarded as one of the most straightforward and healthy dishes because it is low in fat and cholesterol, high in iron, fiber, and carbohydrates, and it makes a tasty one-pot dinner. Children or those recovering from illness are frequently advised to do so.
Daliya Making pulao in the Instant Pot pressure cooker or on the stovetop is a nutritious, wholesome dish that is rich in iron and fiber. Broken wheat pulao is a very nutritious and easily digestible meal. It’s liked alike by both children as well as adults.
Daliya pulao simple, healthy, and comforting one-pot meal that is made with dalia (broken wheat), fresh vegetables, and some aromatic whole spices.
Daliya is cracked or broken wheat. It is made by coarsely milling whole grains of wheat. It is rich in fiber and has many health benefits. You can find it in different forms – some are quite bigger in size which can be a good substitute for rice while some are quite small or fine which is good to make porridge or kheer.
In North India, it is known by the name Daliya. It is also referred to as cracked wheat or samba rava or broken wheat or godhuma rava
Ingredients of Daliya pulao
- 1 cup plain Broken Wheat
- 1 cup mixed Vegetables (cauliflower/carrots / capsicum/ green peas)
- Cumin seed – ½ small spoon
- 3 Green Chillies
- 5 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- Asafetida – 1 to 2 pinch
- Salt – As per taste
- Coriander – one tablespoon
Instruction for daliya pulao
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 tsp of oil and lightly roast the broken wheat for around 1 min.
- Break the wheat into a dish.
- Add the remaining oil to the cooker and add asafetida and cumin seed to the oil. After the cumin seed has been fried, mix green chili, ginger, onion, and tomato in it.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes while stirring.
- After the tomato has become soft, mix cauliflower, capsicum, green pea, carrots, and salt.
Then add mixed vegetables, and cook for a minute.
Add turmeric,garam masala, coriander powder, broken wheat, salt, and water and mix well.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn the pressure valve to the sealing position.
- On a medium-high flame, blow four times, then extinguish it. Allow the pressure to naturally decrease.
Once the pressure has been. released, open the lid, juice of the half lemon, and mix well.
- Take it out in a bowl and garnish it with the remaining coriander.
Tips and Variations
- Roasting the Dalia allows it to develop flavor and not become mushy.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice for making this Pulao like potato, bell pepper, cauliflower, etc.
- If you are making this dish for kids, you can reduce the spices slightly and increase the water content.
- To make a vegan Dalia khichdi use coconut oil or vegetable oil for cooking rather than ghee.
Store the leftover khichdi in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 days. Add ⅛ to ¼ cup of water to the khichdi while reheating to get the desired consistency. You can reheat Dalia khichdi on a stovetop or microwave.
Daliya pulao is best enjoyed fresh and piping hot with a flavorsome bowl of mint raita, kachumber salad, papad, and homemade mango pickle.
Some of my favorite side dishes to serve with khichdi are masala potato fry and Gujarati Kadhi.
Also read: Fish fry recipe (step by step)
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube