Doodh poha is a simple Gujarati milk-based dessert recipe prepared with rice flakes or poha and sugar. It is a traditional milk kheer recipe prepared mainly during the Sharad Purnima or as part of a celebration feast.
In this recipe, I made regular and flavored cassata doodh poha. Both are easy to make and ready in just 15 minutes with one secret ingredient. It is really delicious, do try this!
It is rich and healthy yet light (low-fat) Flattened Rice Sweet Pudding. It is made with soaked flattened rice & boiled plant-based milk (doodh) and topped with healthy nuts and spices like nutmeg, cardamom, and saffron. It is super quick and easy to make at any time.
Eating this milk pudding on this night it neutralizes the pita as milk is cooling food. The moonlight on this night is believed to possess amazing medical and nourishing properties which rejuvenate the body.
These doodh poha recipes are so easy to make and packed with nutrients to get your child’s day started. You don’t need special cooking skills to fix yourself a yummy bowl of deliciousness.
Ingredients for Doodh poha
- 1 liter of full-fat milk
- 2 Cups Thick Poha
- Few strands of Kesar (Saffron)
- ¼ Teaspoon – Cardamom Powder
- 1 tsp ghee
- 5 tbsp sugar or as per taste
- 1/3 Cup Mixed Dry Fruit I used Almond, Pista, Cashew, and Raisins
Instructions for Doodh poha
- Wash and drain the poha. Keep aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, Put the milk in a thick bottom saucepan and place it on medium flame.
- Keep the flame medium and simmer it for 5 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid milk from burning.
- Add the sugar and Continue to cook the milk till it thickens a bit. Remember to keep stirring continuously.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add ghee and dry fruit slits. Roast it for 2 minutes and keep it aside.
- If you are using raisins (Kishmish), add them to the milk now so that they soak some milk and turn plump.
- Then add poha to the milk. Boil on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till poha softens.
When poha is completely cooked then add dry fruits and saffron to it. Mix well.
Simmer for 2-3 minutes and turn off the flame.
Add the cardamom powder. Mix again.
Cool down doodh poha completely at room temperature.
Mix well and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish Doodh Poha with more nuts and it tastes amazing when served chilled. Enjoy!
Garnish with rose petals and some slivered almonds. Doodh Poha has to be left covered with a muslin cloth under the moon rays for a couple of hours before enjoying them
- roasted poha is more flavourful and does not stick to each other while cooking it.
- milk powder gives thickness and creaminess to doodhpoha
- .Avoid refrigerating Doodh Poha as the Poha turns stiff
- Use thick poha and not the thin variety. The thin variety of poha tends to disintegrate in the milk.
- the proportion of poha should be 1 cup for 1 liter of milk.
Also read: Bread Pizza Pockets Recipe
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube