These Homemade French Fries are truly the best, crispiest fries you will ever make at home. The secret is my special batter that is packed with flavor and gives these fries a golden brown crispy outside while keeping the inside warm, fluffy, and delicious.
These easy-to-prepare, quick homemade french fries were pretty good, but not perfectly crispy like what you’d get from McDonald’s or other fast food chains. I needed to dig deeper to find a french fry recipe that would wow my readers.
These potatoes will become a lovely golden brown color, simply seasoned with salt. Serve as a side with a burger or crispy fish, or use them for delicious poutine!
Store-bought comes with artificial preservatives for extra stiffness, but the same can be achieved in homemade without any preservatives. these chips may not hold the crispiness forever and have to be served immediately.
Ingredients for French Fries
- 4 large potato
- 3.5 cups cold water
- oil for deep frying
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs or as required
Instructions for French Fries
- Rinse the potatoes well in water and then peel the potato.
- Now slice the potato into slices having 1 cm thickness. Cut the potatoes into sticks 1 cm width.
- Rinse these potato sticks a couple of times in water.
- Soak the fries in cold water for 30-45 minutes to remove extra starch.
Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a clean dry towel. Dry each slice removing as much water as you can. The dryer to get them, the more crispy they will be.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan over medium or medium-low heat
- Now, working in batches, add the potatoes to the oil. Do not overcrowd the wok (kadai) or pan.
- Stir in intervals and cook for around 10 minutes, or until the fries are soft.
- drain off over the kitchen towel and cool completely.
- Now increase the flame to medium-high or high.
- Add the first batch of once-fried potatoes to the hot oil.
- Stir often while the potatoes are frying and fry until it turns golden brown and crisp.
- Remove finger chips with a slotted spoon.
drain off to remove excess oil.
now sprinkle ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ teaspoon mixed herbs and ½ tsp salt. mix well.
- finally, enjoy homemade french fries!!
Sprinkle with some salt, paprika or red chili flakes, dried herbs or dry rosemary. You can add your favorite herbs and spices. You could also opt to use your favorite seasonings or spice mix. Sometimes I also sprinkle cajun seasoning on the fries.
Serve french fries hot with any dip or sauce of your choice. Tomato ketchup and Cilantro Chutney are our favorite dips to go with french fries. We also like to serve with some Vegan Mayonnaise.
For freezing and storing french fries in large quantities, fry/blanch the potatoes in hot oil first for about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. freeze for an hour. Remove the frozen fries from the tray and transfer them to a zip-lock bag or a container and store them in your freezer.
Now you have the option to deep fry, bake or air-fry these frozen fries. When cooking the fries with any of these methods, you do not need to thaw the frozen finger chips.
While deep frying, heat oil until medium or medium-high hot and deep fry the fries until golden and crisp. Sprinkle salt or ground spices, herbs and serve straight away.
Tips and Variations
- When it comes to french fries, Russet potatoes are the gold standard. You can you any.
- Rinsing the potatoes in water or cold water helps to remove starch.
- make sure not to over stir the potatoes as they may break.
- also, chop the potatoes in uniform thickness else, the cooking time will vary.
- additionally, you can adjust the seasoning to your preferences