Carrot halwa is a famous sweet made in North India, and it is especially popular during winters. The traditional gajar ka halwa recipe is made with only carrots, whole (full-fat) milk, ghee, and sugar; there’s no need for khoya (evaporated milk solids) or condensed milk.
It is an easy and tasty super popular Indian sweet recipe made with grated carrot, milk, and sugar. This is one of the easy and tasty dessert recipes which can be prepared and attempted by any enthusiastic cook.
it is typically served warm with the topping of mava / khoya, but can also be served with a vanilla ice cream scoop
Halwa is a yummy dessert that is reserved for celebratory occasions. It isn’t difficult to make, but it does tend to take a bit of time. If you’d like to make gajar ka halwa more of a regular occurrence, consider using one of my genius shortcuts listed below!
INGREDIENTS FOR CARROT HALWA
- 1 kg carrot
- ¼ cup ghee/clarified butter
- 3 cup milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup khoya / mawa (optional)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 10 to 12 cashews – chopped
- 10 to 12 almonds – sliced or chopped
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CARROT HALWA
- First rinse and peel 650 grams of carrots
- Next, grate the carrots with a box grater or in a food processor.
- In a large Kadai heat ¼ cup ghee and fry 10 cashews, and 10 almonds.
- Fry until they turn golden brown in color and set aside.
- Now, In a heavy Kadai or wok, add all of the grated carrots.
- Stirring often, sauté the carrots for around 10 minutes until all the moisture dries out.
- You will notice that the color of the carrot will change. At this point add pour 3 cup milk and give a good stir.
- Cook this mixture on low-medium heat. After a few minutes, the milk will begin to froth and then start slowly reducing.
- Once the milk thickens completely, add ¾ cup of sugar.
- Mix well and cook until the sugar dissolves and thickens.
- Now add ½ cup khoya, ¼ tsp cardamom powder, and fried nuts. (You can skip khoya)
- Mix again and continue to stir and simmer.
- finally, enjoy gajar ka halwa or carrot halwa chilled or warm.
You can have gajar halwa chilled if you prefer. It is a personal preference, much like some people prefer pudding hot while others prefer it cold.
Serve a combination of carrot halwa with vanilla ice cream. Believe me this combination tastes good. It’s like carrot cake pudding a la mode!
In the cold winters of North India, carrot halwa is best served hot.
Tips and Variations
- You can store the carrot halwa in the fridge. It stays well for about 10-12 days
- Remember to stir the halwa mixture often when you cook it in a pan.
- Leaving the skillet or pan unattended will make the milk and carrots burn or brown at the bottom of the pan.
- You can easily halve, double or triple this carrot halwa recipe depending on how many servings you’d like to make.
- You can add khoya or milk powder at the end to make the halwa richer.
- Other than cashews, you can also add almonds, and golden raisins to the halwa.
Vitamin A: 28181IU
Vitamin C: 10mg
Also read: Fish fry recipe (step by step)
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube