Ghevar is a special sweet for the festival of Sawan and Rakhsha Bandhan. Being Indian residents we can find Ghevar everywhere in the market during these festivals, but people who stay in foreign countries are not able to find it so easily. The good news is that you can easily make it at home and surprise your family members. So let’s make Ghevar Sweet today at home.
It is a unique and crisp traditional Rajasthani dessert recipe prepared mainly from maida and sugar syrup. basically, it is a disc-shaped sweet cake with a porous texture and is mainly served by dipping it in sugar syrup or topped with milk rabdi.
This sweet is interesting in a way that you do not get it all through the year, you only get it during the month of August to celebrate festivals like Teej and Rakhi.
The ingredients are basic and making the batter is super easy but the trick lies in frying it perfectly. There are several versions of ghevar, one is made with mawa (dried milk solids) but the version I am sharing is the simplest and most popular one and is made with flour only. So few things to keep in mind while making ghevar.
Delicious ghevar recipe which is super crispy and light. This sweet may seem a little complicated, but it is very easy to make at home.
Ingredients of Ghevar
- Maida (all-purpose flour) – 300 gms
- Ghee – 100 gms
- Milk – 100 gms
- 3 cups water, chilled
- 2 pieces of ice cubes
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered cardamom
- Oil/ghee for deep frying
- Then, take a large wide bowl and add ghee to it.
- Take one ice cube at a time and rub the ghee vigorously as required till the ghee becomes very white in color.
- rub the ghee in a circular motion till the ghee thickens and turns creamy.
- now add maida and crumble well. do not knead the dough as we are going to make the batter.
- Now add chilled water and cold milk and whisk it well, so it mixes properly.
- continue to whisk till there are no lumps.
- the batter is ready to make ghevar, keep chilled till you are ready to fry.
- Heat ghee in a deep vessel. The quantity of ghee should be half of the density of the vessel.
Once the ghee is super hot, pour the batter from a height of at least 6-7 inches. Then pour the 2 tbsp of batter. The batter will sizzle up and spread immediately.
- pour another 2 tbsp of batter in the center in a thin stream keeping your distance from the oil.
- Pour the batter into the ghee depending on the size of the ghevar you want to make.
- make sure to leave a hole in the center.
- Once you are done with all the layers, take a stick and press the ghevar slightly inside the oil so that the top gets evenly cooked.
- pull the ghevar out gently, and drain off the oil completely. keep aside.
sugar syrup preparation:
- To begin with, you need to prepare the sugar syrup with one-string consistency.
- To make the sugar syrup, Boil 1 cup of water in a pan on medium heat.
- Add sugar to the pan and mix till sugar dissolves.
After 4-5 minutes the syrup will develop a one-string consistency which means that if you put a drop of the syrup between your thumb and index finger and move the fingers apart, you will notice the syrup forming one string/thread.
Turn off the flame. Let the syrup cool down.
- pour the sugar syrup over the ghevar or dip the ghevar in sugar syrup.
- Then, keep aside a mesh. This will take out the extra syrup.
- Let it cool and settle down.
- then top it with edible sprinkle some chopped dry fruits and 1 tsp of cardamom powder.
- Serve it with savories like Pakoras, Kachoris, and Samosas.
- firstly, keep the batter really chilled to get a honeycomb texture.
- For making Ghevar crispy, make sure you mix it with cold water and cold milk.
- Whisking the batter as much as you can makes it more delicious. You can even store it for up to 2 weeks. Not just that, you can even add some khoya above the Ghevar for extra flavor.
- additionally, whisk well without allowing ghee or milk from curdling.
- also, adjust the consistency of the batter by adding ice cold water.
- finally, ghevar can be stored for a month in an airtight container and dipped in sugar syrup just before serving.
Also read: Delicious Chocolate Cake Recipe – Recipes Plaza
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube