Mushroom Biryani Recipe is a simple, tasty, and flavorful one-pot biryani with the touch of restaurant style made in an Instant pot pressure cooker. It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. It is perfect for office lunch boxes, potluck, birthday, kids lunch boxes, or family get-togethers.
If you love Mushrooms then I highly recommend trying this Vegan Mushroom Biryani made in Instant Pot. It gets done in just 30 minutes, is dairy-free, and nut-free, and makes an easy weeknight meal for the family.
Biryani is a rice-based dish cooked with meat and spices. You can also add eggs, and vegetables like potatoes, and cauliflower peas to give variety to vegetarians. Mushroom is a brilliant substitute for meat to make biryani.
Recipe instructions included Instant Pot, Traditional Stovetop regular pot. if you love a lot of mushrooms in your biryani, I would strongly suggest doubling the number of mushrooms! It’s a personal choice so adjust to taste.
Ingredients for instant pot mushroom biryani
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups white mushroom sliced thick (add more if desired)
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4-5 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1-inch Cinnamon Sticks or Dalchini
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1 green chili sliced, or add more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder can be substituted with paprika
- 2 teaspoon biryani masala
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 3 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
Instruction for instant pot mushroom biryani
- Thoroughly wash the rice until the water is clear. Drain after soaking for at least 30 minutes.
- First, set the Instant Pot to SAUTE. Once the oil is hot, add whole spices such as cumin, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, and cloves. Saute for a few seconds until the spices are fragrant.
- Then add the sliced onions and green chilies and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions turn light brown, stirring often.
- add ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 secs.
Next, add tomatoes and saute for a minute till they become soft.
- Sauté for 30 seconds before adding dry spices such as turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, and biryani powder. Make certain that the spices do not burn.
- Then add the yogurt and combine everything. Deglaze the pot as well. Remove anything sticking to the bottom of the pot so there are no charred parts at the bottom.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and mix again gently
- Stir in the rinsed basmati rice, water, and salt. Sprinkle with mint and coriander leaves and toss to combine.
- Close the lid on the saucepan. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes with the pressure valve in the sealing position after pressing the manual or pressure cook button. Allow the pressure to naturally release.
- With a fork, fluff the rice and open the lid. Serve Mushroom Biryani with yogurt or raita on the side.
- Follow all of the instructions in the Instant Pot recipe until STEP 9, then cover and cook on medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
Let the pressure release naturally and fluff with a fork.
Tips and variations
- The rice-to-water ratio is one-to-one. So adapt as you change the amount of rice.
- The rice-water ratio will alter if you use anything other than basmati rice.
- you used pre-packaged biriyani masala.
- You can use coconut milk instead of just water.
- Increase or decrease spices accordingly to your preference.
In Indian Cuisine, Biryani is served with Raita which is a curd or yogurt-based dip that contains vegetables or sometimes fruits like pineapple or mango. Raita provides the perfect balance to the warm spices and heat of Biryani.
Mixed Vegetable Raita is the Crowd’s Favorite and the most common choice of raita with any Biryani. Onion Raita, Okra Raita, and Pineapple Raita is also served at most Indian restaurants and it makes an ideal accompaniment to pulao, pilaf, and biryani recipes. If you love Beets, you can opt for Beetroot Raita
Other than Raita, you can also serve Biryani with chopped salad, papad, green chutney with cilantro, and mint along with lime wedges.
Health benefits of Mushrooms:
Mushrooms are high in vitamins and minerals [copper, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, potassium, phosphorus, and iron] and low in calories, making them an ideal diet food.
You Might Also Like:
- Paneer do pyaza recipe
- chicken chatpata recipe
- Oreo Mug Cake Recipe
- Paneer Dum Biryani Recipe
- Aloo paneer paratha recipe