Instant Pot Mushroom Biryani recipe is a simple, tasty, and flavorful one-pot biryani with the touch of restaurant-style made in an Instant Pot pressure cooker. It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. It is perfect for office lunch boxes, potluck, birthday, kids lunch boxes, or family get-togethers.
If you love Mushrooms then I highly recommend trying this Vegan Mushroom Biryani made in Instant Pot. It gets done in just 30 minutes, is dairy-free, and nut-free, and makes an easy weeknight meal for the family.
Biryani is a rice-based dish cooked with meat and spices. You can also add eggs, and vegetables like potatoes, and cauliflower peas to give variety to vegetarians. Mushroom is a brilliant substitute for meat to make biryani.
Recipe instructions included Instant Pot, Traditional Stovetop regular pot. if you love a lot of mushrooms in your biryani, I would strongly suggest doubling the number of mushrooms! It’s a personal choice so adjust to taste.
Mushroom Biryani is a delicious and aromatic Indian dish that you can prepare easily in an Instant Pot. Here’s a simple recipe for Mushroom Biryani:
Ingredients for instant pot mushroom biryani
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups white mushroom sliced thick (add more if desired)
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4-5 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1-inch Cinnamon Sticks or Dalchini
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1 green chili sliced, or add more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder can be substituted with paprika
- 2 teaspoon biryani masala
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 3 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
Instruction for instant pot mushroom biryani
- Thoroughly wash the rice until the water is clear. Drain after soaking for at least 30 minutes.
- First, set the Instant Pot to SAUTE. Once the oil is hot, add whole spices such as cumin, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, and cloves. Saute for a few seconds until the spices are fragrant.
- Then add the sliced onions and green chilies and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions turn light brown, stirring often.
- add ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 secs.
Next, add tomatoes and saute for a minute till they become soft.
- Sauté for 30 seconds before adding dry spices such as turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, and biryani powder. Make certain that the spices do not burn.
- Then add the yogurt and combine everything. Deglaze the pot as well. Remove anything sticking to the bottom of the pot so there are no charred parts at the bottom.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and mix again gently
- Stir in the rinsed basmati rice, water, and salt. Sprinkle with mint and coriander leaves and toss to combine.
- Close the lid on the saucepan. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes with the pressure valve in the sealing position after pressing the manual or pressure cook button. Allow the pressure to naturally release.
- With a fork, fluff the rice and open the lid. Serve Mushroom Biryani with yogurt or raita on the side.
- Follow all of the instructions in the Instant Pot recipe until STEP 9, then cover and cook on medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
Let the pressure release naturally and fluff with a fork.
Tips and variations
- The rice-to-water ratio is one-to-one. So adapt as you change the amount of rice.
- The rice-water ratio will alter if you use anything other than basmati rice.
- you used pre-packaged biriyani masala.
- You can use coconut milk instead of just water.
- Increase or decrease spices according to your preference.
In Indian Cuisine, instant pot mushroom biryani is served with Raita which is a curd or yogurt-based dip that contains vegetables or sometimes fruits like pineapple or mango. Raita provides the perfect balance to the warm spices and heat of Biryani.
Mixed Vegetable Raita is the Crowd’s Favorite and the most common choice of raita with any Biryani. Onion Raita, Okra Raita, and Pineapple Raita are also served at most Indian restaurants and they make an ideal accompaniment to pulao, pilaf, and biryani recipes. If you love Beets, you can opt for Beetroot Raita
Other than Raita, you can also serve instant pot mushroom biryani with chopped salad, papad, green chutney with cilantro, and mint along with lime wedges.
Health benefits of Mushrooms:
Mushrooms are high in vitamins and minerals [copper, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, potassium, phosphorus, and iron] and low in calories, making them an ideal diet food.
- Can I use any type of rice for Mushroom Biryani?
- While Basmati rice is the most commonly used rice for Biryani due to its aroma and long grains, you can use other types of rice like Jasmine or Sona Masoori if needed. Just adjust the cooking time and water ratio accordingly.
- Can I skip the yogurt in instant pot mushroom biryani?
- Yogurt adds creaminess and a slight tangy flavor to the Biryani. If you prefer to skip it, you can use a dairy-free yogurt alternative or simply omit it. Adjust the spices to your taste.
- Can I use canned mushrooms instead of fresh ones?
- Fresh mushrooms are recommended for the best texture and flavor, but you can use canned mushrooms if you’re in a pinch. Rinse and drain them before adding to the recipe.
- How can I adjust the spice level of instant pot mushroom biryani?
- You can control the spiciness by adjusting the amount of red chili powder and green chilies. Use less for a milder flavor and more for a spicier Biryani.
- What can I serve with instant pot mushroom biryani?
- instant pot mushroom biryani is delicious on its own, but you can serve it with raita (yogurt dip), cucumber salad, or a side of plain yogurt. Some people also like to serve instant pot mushroom biryani with papad (crispy Indian flatbread) or pickles.
- Can I double the recipe in the Instant Pot?
- You can double instant pot mushroom biryani as long as it fits within the maximum fill line of your Instant Pot. You may need to adjust the cooking time slightly, but the overall process remains the same.
- Can I make Mushroom Biryani in advance and reheat it?
- Yes, you can make Mushroom Biryani in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of water to keep it moist.
- What if I don’t have an Instant Pot?
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can make Mushroom Biryani on the stovetop. Follow the same steps but use a heavy-bottomed pot with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer on low heat until the rice is cooked and the flavors meld together.
In conclusion, Instant Pot Mushroom Biryani is a flavorful and aromatic vegetarian dish that’s easy to prepare using your Instant Pot. It’s a satisfying meal that combines the earthy flavors of mushrooms with fragrant spices and perfectly cooked rice. Instant Pot Mushroom Biryani is a delightful and comforting dish that’s perfect for both weeknight dinners and special occasions. With the Instant Pot’s help, you can enjoy this flavorful Indian classic with minimal effort and maximum taste.