Kadhai chicken is a popular North Indian dish that is known for its rich and spicy flavor. The dish gets its name from the kadhai, which is a type of wok commonly used in Indian cuisine. It is made with boneless chicken that is cooked with a blend of spices, onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers, which give the dish its unique flavor.
The chicken is typically marinated in a mixture of yogurt, spices, and lemon juice before it is cooked in the kadhai. This helps to tenderize the chicken and infuse it with flavor. The dish is often garnished with fresh coriander leaves and served with rice or naan.
Kadhai chicken is a great dish for those who love spicy food. The use of green chilies and a blend of spices gives the dish a bold and flavorful taste. It is also a great dish for those who are looking for a high-protein meal, as chicken is a great source of protein.
Ingredients for kadhai chicken
- 500g boneless chicken
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
Instructions for kadhai chicken
- Heat the oil in a kadhai or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies. Sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add chopped bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add boneless chicken and mix well. Cover the kadhai and cook on medium heat until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or naan.
- Rice: Kadhai chicken goes very well with plain steamed rice. You can also serve it with flavored rice such as biryani rice or lemon rice.
- Naan: Naan is a type of Indian bread that is often served with curries and other Indian dishes. Kadhai chicken goes particularly well with garlic naan or butter naan.
- Roti: Roti is another type of Indian bread that can be served with kadhai chicken. It is similar to a tortilla and is made with whole wheat flour.
- Salad: You can also serve Kadhai chicken with a side salad for a healthy and refreshing option. A simple cucumber and tomato salad with a dash of lemon juice and salt can be a great accompaniment to the spicy chicken dish.
- Raita: Raita is a side dish made with yogurt and can be served with Kadhai chicken to balance out the heat of the spices. You can make a simple raita by mixing yogurt with chopped cucumber, tomato, and coriander leaves, and adding a pinch of salt and cumin powder.
- Papad: Papad is a thin, crispy Indian cracker that is often served as a side dish with curries. You can serve papad with Kadhai chicken to add some crunch to the meal.
Tips and variations
- Marinate the chicken: Marinating the chicken in a mixture of yogurt, spices, and lemon juice will help to tenderize the meat and infuse it with flavor. It’s best to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Use boneless chicken: Boneless chicken is best for this dish as it cooks quickly and evenly. You can use chicken breast or thigh meat.
- Use a kadhai or wok: A kadhai or wok is the best type of pan to use for this dish as it allows for even heat distribution and helps to infuse the chicken with the flavors of the spices.
- Toast the spices: Toasting the spices in a dry pan before adding them to the dish will help to bring out their flavors and aromas.
- Cut the vegetables evenly: Make sure to cut the onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes into even-sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Adjust the spice level: Kadhai chicken is a spicy dish, but you can adjust the level of heat to your liking. If you prefer a milder dish, use fewer green chilies or reduce the amount of red chili powder.
- Add cream for a richer flavor: If you want a creamier and richer flavor, you can add a tablespoon of cream or coconut milk at the end of the cooking.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves: Fresh coriander leaves add a pop of freshness and color to the dish. Make sure to sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves on top before serving.
Q: What type of chicken should I use for Kadhai Chicken?
A: Boneless chicken is best for Kadhai Chicken, as it cooks quickly and evenly. You can use chicken breast or thigh meat.
Q: What is a kadhai?
A: A kadhai is a type of wok commonly used in Indian cooking. It is made of iron or steel and has two loop handles.
Q: Is Kadhai Chicken spicy?
A: Yes, this reci[pe is a spicy dish that uses a blend of spices and green chilies to give it its bold and flavorful taste.
Q: Can I make Kadhai Chicken without a kadhai?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe in a regular pan if you don’t have a kadhai. However, using a kadhai will help to infuse the chicken with the flavors of the spices and vegetables.
Q: What can I serve with Kadhai Chicken?
A: This recipe goes well with plain steamed rice, naan, roti, salad, raita, or papad.
Q: Can I make Kadhai Chicken ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it before serving. However, the dish is best when served fresh and hot.
Q: How long does Kadhai Chicken last in the fridge?
A: It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
Here is the approximate nutritional information for a serving of Kadhai Chicken (assuming a serving size of 1 cup or 240 grams):
Saturated fat: 3g