Gujarati khichu is one of the most favourite Gujarati breakfast & very well know street food. Khichu is healthy & very tasty snack made up of rice flour. It is an all-time favorite snacks recipe generally served for morning breakfast.
It is very simple and easy to make and healthy snack recipes for all age groups. Khichu can be prepared from various types of flours like rice flour, wheat flour, jowar flour, or bajri flour. This recipe uses the wheat flour.
Generally street food or snacks recipes are termed as greasy or not healthy food. most of them are either deep fried with high cholesterol or perhaps having high sodium content in it. but this khichu recipe is a healthy snack.
It can be easily digested as it is made by steaming and just with rice flour. having said that it can be pale and tasteless for many as it does not have much spice in it. therefore, it is added or topped with indian pickle masala to spice it up before serving.
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 2½ cups Water
- 1 chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- ¼ tsp ajwain / carom seeds
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- peanut oil for serving
- 1½ tablespoons Peanut Oil (for greasing and serving)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves
firstly, in a large kadai take 2½ cup water.
- When water becomes hot, add cumin seeds, carom seeds, green chili, salt, and baking soda.
Boil it over medium flame for a minute.
further, add 1 cup rice flour while stirring continuously
- As the flour is getting mixed with water, it will start to thicken. Make sure that there are no lumps of flour.
stir continuously until the rice flour absorbs all the water.
- It will start getting soft dough like consistency.
- Cook for a minute and turn off flame. Transfer it to a plate.
- Grease 4-individual cups with peanut oil. Divide prepared rice flour khichu into 4-portions and transfer it to individual serving cups.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with raw peanut oil.
- finally, enjoy khichu
Savor it in the breakfast or with peanut oil as a snack.
Tips to make best Khichu
- Serve it hot for a better taste.
- You can serve it with any cooking oil but peanut oil has a specific flavor and it enhances the taste.
- For variation, you can use wheat flour or equal amounts of both rice flour and wheat flour together.
- Stir well to prevent lump formation.
- Flour and water ratio should be 1:2 or 1:2.5
- you can use red chili powder for garnishing