Macaroni is a variety of pasta used to make various pasta recipes. In fact, macaroni can be substituted in many recipes which call for other types of pasta like penne, fusilli, rigatoni, etc.
It is one of the most popular dishes made across the world. Give a healthy twist to your usual macaroni by adding lots of veggies to it.
while in Europe and America it is popularly also known as mac and cheese, it is known as Indian style macaroni pasta recipe in India. this post is specific to Indian way of preparing the macaroni pasta recipe.
The macaroni pasta is made in an onion-tomato masala, so the tangy taste of tomatoes is felt in the macaroni recipe. The recipe is not spicy and thus suitable for kids, but you can make it spicy by increasing the amount of red chili powder, black pepper powder, and garam masala powder.
Ingredients For Marconi
- water as required to boil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp oil
Preparing macaroni pasta:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic / lasun (finely chopped)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1.25 to 1.5 cups chopped mixed vegetables like carrots, green beans, cauliflower, capsicum, baby corn, potatoes, etc
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ tsp pepper (crushed)
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
Instructions for Marconi
- In a pan, heat 3 cups of water, 1 tsp oil, and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Add 1 cup macaroni (250 gm). Stir with a fork.
- Now let the macaroni cook on a medium flame until soft.
- Drain all the water and keep cooked macaroni aside.
- To prepare this delicious dish, take a clean chopping board and chop all the vegetables after washing them.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Lower the flame.
- Add 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped. You can also add ½ teaspoon ginger-garlic paste instead.
- Sauté till the garlic is light brown or till its raw aroma goes away.
- Next, add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- Begin to sauté onions on a medium-low flame stirring often. saute till the onions become translucent.
- Then add 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes.
- Mix and Cover the pan with a lid. In between do check when cooking tomatoes.
- Cook tomatoes on a low to medium-low flame till they soften and become pulpy.
- Now add all the spice powders ½ teaspoon pepper powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, and ½ teaspoon chili powder.
- Mix and sauté the spice powders for some seconds till you get a nice aroma from the spice powders.
- Now add 1.25 to 1.5 cups of mixed vegetables. You can add veggies of your choice.
- Season with salt as per taste. Mix very well.
- After sauteing the vegetables, add tomato ketchup to it.
- Finally, add boiled macaroni to the wok and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Here, You can add dried herbs of your choice or Italian herbs or Italian seasoning or even fresh herbs.
- Garnish the pasta with some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Transfer the prepared macaroni to a plate and garnish with grated cheese (optional). Serve hot.
Tips and Variations
- While making macaroni at home, always cook it till al-dente, which means half-cook it.
- firstly, make sure not to overcook pasta as they turn too soft and sticky.
- In order to stop it from over-cooking, turn off the pasta in just 10 minutes. Transfer in cold or chilled water, in order to prevent it from sticking together.
- furthermore, adjust the amount of chili powder based on your spice level.
- To add more color to your macaroni, use colorful veggies like zucchini, bell peppers, carrot, and herbs in it. This will not only add colors but make it flavourful as well.
Pair up a beverage of your choice with this scrumptious macaroni recipe to make it a wholesome meal.
For bachelors, macaroni is the easiest breakfast and lunch option, as it will be ready in just half an hour.
If you often feel hungry in the evening and need a filling yet healthy snack to satiate your hunger, then do try this yummy macaroni recipe.
Also read: How to make Chicken Manchurian
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtub