Makhane ki kheer is a sweet dessert pudding made with Makhana (foxnuts), milk, ghee, sugar, and dry fruits. It is a delicious dessert which can be served on any occasion especially for vrat or fasting days.
This Makhana Kheer recipe is easy-to-prepare and doesn’t require much effort. Indians are absolutely in love with kheer and there are several variations of this sweet delight that you can find across the country.
This is an easy and popular sweet that is often made during Navratri Fasting or Mahashivratri vrat or Ekadasi Fasting. I made the makhane ki kheer during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival. It tastes delicious and you can also make it on regular days as a sweet.
However, makhana kheer happens to be the healthiest of all and for the same reason, it is one of the most preferred foods prepared during fasts. Prepared using a delicious blend of popped lotus seeds (makhana) and milk with sugar, ghee, saffron, and dry fruits in just 30 minutes, this recipe will remind you of your home and food prepared by your mother.
Ingredients for makhana kheer
- 1 cup makhana (foxnuts or Phool makhana)
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 2 tsp ghee
- Sugar (as per taste)
- 7 almonds
- 1 pinch saffron
Instructions for makhana kheer
- Firstly, Take almonds, and cashews and crush them into small pieces.
- Then, Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup Phool makhana along with the crushed almonds, and cashews and roast them till the makhana become crunchy.
- The cashews will also get golden. Stir often while roasting them. Don’t burn else burnt smell influences kheer
- Then remove them to a plate and keep them aside.
- Now, take a deep-bottomed pan over medium flame and add milk to it.
- Keep the heat to medium-low to medium. Stir at intervals so that the milk does not scorch from the bottom. Let the milk come to a boil.
- In the meantime, take 3/4th of the roasted makhana, almonds, and cashews and add them to a grinder. Grind or blend to a fine powder.
- When the milk starts boiling, add sugar, cardamom powder, and saffron.
- Stir in the cardamom powder and nuts. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until it thickens a bit.
- Add the ground makhana.
- Stir the mixture for a minute and then, add the rest of the cashews, almonds, and lotus seeds.
- Stir the mixture for about 10 minutes or until the makhana, turn soft and the rest of the mixture turns creamy.
- Do stir at intervals. Keep in mind that the kheer will thicken more on cooling. So keep the consistency according to your preferences.
- Turn off the flame. Transfer the kheer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish it with almonds or cashews, if you wish, serve warm or refrigerate for a couple of minutes to enjoy it chilled.
You can serve it at kitty parties, buffets, and potlucks as a dessert or indulge in it to satisfy your sweet tooth on a lazy evening.
You can serve it as an after-meal dessert. Or make it sweet during any of the Hindu fasting days. Lastly, serve the Instant pot Phool makhana kheer recipe warm or cold and garnish with pistachios and almonds.
Makhana Kheer stays good for about 2-3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It cannot be frozen, as the milk will curdle when thawed or reheated.
Makhana Kheer with Jaggery
You can replace sugar with jaggery to sweeten the kheer and make it healthier. Make the kheer as mentioned in the recipe. Once it is ready, remove the pan from the heat and add crushed jaggery to it. Stir until the jaggery is dissolved.
Never add jaggery while the kheer is still cooking, it can curdle the milk and spoil the kheer.
Tips and Variations
- Use the makhana that is fresh and has not become rancid.
- This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- Give an exotic touch to your kheer by adding some dried berries.
- You can add nuts and dry fruits of your choice like cashews, blanched almonds, pistachios, raisins, and pinenuts
- You can also flavor the kheer with a few drops of rose water or kewra essence.
- The kheer consistency will thicken on cooling. You can vary the consistency according to your preferences.
- Add 2 tablespoons of condensed milk or khoya if you like.