Masala pav is a popular Mumbai Street Food dish and is made using onions, tomatoes, spice powders, and a pav bun. Usually served with tons of butter on top.
In this dish, “masala” refers to a savory spiced vegetable stew, while “pav” refers to the traditional eggless bread roll that is a delicacy in Mumbai. Therefore, a Masala Pav is essentially just these two ingredients combined. It makes a tasty, tangy snack on the go when garnished with finely chopped onion, fresh coriander, and a squeeze of lemon!
Ingredients For masala pav recipe
- 2 Pav buns
- 2 medium-sized onions finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. of ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Pav bhaji masala
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- Salt as needed
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ⅓ cup water
Instructions for masala pav recipe
Heat ½ tablespoon of butter over tawa, and splutter cumin seeds.
- Add onion and cook for one minute. Stir-fry for 30 seconds after adding ginger and garlic paste
Add finely chopped capsicum and fry for 1 min.
- .Finely sliced tomatoes are added. Add salt, turmeric, 1 teaspoon pav bhaji masala, and 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder and cook it.
Mix and mash as you cook for a minute.
- Add a further 1/2 tablespoon of butter and continue cooking until semi-gravy forms. If it becomes dry, add some water. (I left this out)
- Push the masala in the skillet to the side after a minute or two of cooking on medium heat.
- Slit the pav buns, add the necessary amount of butter, and cover the pav with the butter.
- Place half of the masalas inside the buns and the remaining on top.
- Serve hot and garnish with coriander leaves.
serving suggestion for masala pav
- Garnish with chopped onions, coriander leaves, and a squeeze of lemon juice for added flavor.
- Serve with a side of green chutney or tamarind chutney for a tangy and spicy taste.
- Pair it with a hot cup of masala chai or ginger tea for a perfect evening snack.
- You can also add some grated cheese on top of the Masala Pav to make it more indulgent and cheesy.
- Serve with a side of crispy potato chips or fries to balance out the spicy flavor.
- You can also serve Masala Pav with a side of raita or yogurt to cool down the heat from the spices.
- For a healthier option, you can use whole wheat bread or brown bread instead of white bread to make it more nutritious
Utilize kitchen king masala if you don’t have pav bhaji masala.
More butter makes everything tastier, but you can cut back as much as you like.
Utilize Kashmiri red chili powder to reduce the level of heat while producing a vibrant red color
For a uniform texture, finely chop everything. To add more spiciness, I combined 1/2 a diced green chili with the onion.
As we do with pav bhaji, serve with raw onions and lemon juice.