Mushroom Matar, or mushrooms and peas in a creamy onion, tomato and cashew sauce, is a staple of Indian restaurant menus. But this creamy, spicy, saucy dish is just as easy to put together quickly in your own kitchen.
This recipe must be tried if you enjoy mushrooms. The simplest curry to make in Indian cuisine is matar mushroom. Prepare this recipe at home with white button mushrooms, a combination of spices, and green peas if you want to experience the awesomeness of it.
It makes enough for lunch and dinner. A delicious dish may be made with matar mushroom masala with ease. Additionally,
the recipe for mushroom matar curry is extremely simple and is prepared by cooking green peas and tossing mushrooms in a creamy, spicy, and tangy tomato and onion-based sauce.
Ingredients for Matar Mushroom Masala
- 200 gm of button mushrooms
- 100 gm cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3 medium-sized finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized finely chopped onion
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- few red chili powders
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- salt as required
Instructions for Matar Mushroom Masala
- In a pan or Kadai, heat the oil. Sauté the finely chopped onions until transparent after adding them.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Sauté until the raw smell is gone.
- Green chiles and chopped tomatoes should be added.
- Stir 1-2 minutes
- Add the turmeric, red chili, and coriander powders
- Stir and saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the onion-tomato masala mixture.
- Add the peas and mushrooms, which have been finely chopped.
- For two to three minutes, stir and fry.
- Add salt and water after that. As needed, add more water.
- Cook the peas until tender under a lid-covered pan.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder after finishing.
- Matar mushrooms should be heated up and served with rotis, naan, or chapatis.
Tips and Variations:
- Firstly, use small and tender mushrooms, or else the curry won’t taste great.
- also, seasoning mushrooms with pepper and salt increase flavor.
- additionally, adjust the consistency of gravy based on your choice.
- finally, the matar mushroom recipe tastes great when prepared slightly spicy and creamy.
You can have this matar mushroom with rotis, parathas, naan, or as a side dish with dal tadka – rice or dal fry – rice combo.
it is an ideal side dish to roti/chapati and jeera rice or plain steamed rice.
lastly, do not restrict this curry just to roti and chapati as it tastes great with any choice of paratha and kulchas.
Also read: Chicken Momos Recipe (step by step)