Rice and flavorful peas are combined with onions and savory spices to make matar pulao, which may be made entirely in a pressure cooker or in a pan on the stovetop.
In order to create matar pulao, which may be done entirely in a pressure cooker or in a skillet on the stovetop, rice and delicious peas are combined with onions and savory spices. The combination of basmati rice, caramelized onions, and lightly sweet peas create a rustic and hearty dish that you’re sure to love.
Serve it with lentils, yogurt, raita, or any Indian curry. Preparation takes less than 30 minutes. It’s ideal for lunchboxes, which your children and the rest of the family will love.
Ingredient for mater pulao recipe
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 cups peas / matar
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 medium-sized onion
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 10 cloves
- 2 bay leaf
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 20 black pepper
- 6 cardamom
- 2 small green chili
- 3 cups water
- salt to taste
Instruction for mater pulao
Wash the basmati rice until the water runs clear of the starch.
Soak rice for 30 minutes. Drain all the water and set it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Along with all the other whole spices, add the cumin seeds. Take care not to burn the spices as you stir-fry them for a few seconds on low heat until they sputter, release their flavor, and become fragrant.
- Then add the sliced onions. Stir and sauté until the onions are light golden or caramelized.
also, saute green chili and ginger-garlic paste.
- Green peas can also be added; sauté thoroughly. Add frozen or fresh peas, as desired.
Then add the drained rice and mix gently.
- Make sure the fat (oil or ghee) coats the rice grains throughout the brief sautéing period. As needed, add salt and water. Mix well. If you taste the water, it should have a little salty flavor.
- Close the lid and put the whistle weight on. Cook for 1 whistle on medium flame and let the pressure release naturally.
once the pressure is released from the cooker, gently fluff.
- Last but not least, serve mater or pea pulao with raita or paneer curries.
Stovetop Pot Instructions
Follow the instructions for the instant pot recipe until adding the water, then simmer covered on low heat until the water is absorbed, and then turn off the heat to create peas pulao in a stovetop pot. After letting it sit for a while, open the cover and fluff the rice.
Use basmati rice to start for richer flavors. nevertheless, you can also use premium-quality rice to prepare.
add vegetables of your choice to make it more nutritious.
Tips & Variations:
You can use either fresh or frozen peas for this recipe. Fresh peas taste the best
To make non-sticky, fluffy peas pulao adjust the water correctly, as it depends on the type of rice used and quality. I have used basmati rice in this recipe
Peas Pulao tastes better with ghee (clarified butter). But Vegans can either use coconut oil or any vegetable oil.
You can use either fresh or frozen peas for this recipe. Fresh peas taste the best.