Mishti Doi is also known as Mitha Dahi meaning sweet yogurt. It is a staple of Bengali cuisine and is usually prepared for special events like weddings, Bengali New Year (Pohela Baisakh), and Durga Puja. It is also a Janmashtami food for krishna.
Mishti Doi, a dessert from Bengal, is well-known throughout India. This can be prepared for celebrations or served as a snack after meals. We can guarantee that this will satiate your palate.
Every candy store in Kolkata sells mishti doi. Small or Large Mishti Doi usually concludes with a joyous Bengali lunch, regardless of the occasion. This particular brand of sugar-sweetened light brown yogurt stirs up emotions in us and is even regarded as lucky.
Even though the misti doi recipe only calls for three ingredients and the preparation is straightforward and hassle-free, you’ll need patience to produce this delicious treat because the yogurt needs to be set for around 12 hours.
INGREDIENTS FOR MISHTI DOI
- 1 Liter Milk
- 3/4 cup Suger OR1 cup jaggery grated
- 1 tablespoon Curd, dahi or yogurt, whisked
- 1 tablespoon Water
INSTRUCTION FOR MISHTI DOI
- Put a heavy bottom pan on the fire to start preparing the Mishti Doi Recipe. On medium heat, add the milk and cook it.
- Add the remaining sugar to the milk after setting aside a third of it. As the milk is heating up, let it dissolve.
- Reduce the heat and let the milk continue to boil until it has been reduced in half. Then turn the heat off and set it aside.
- Add the saved sugar to another pan, then turn the heat on. Maintaining a low to medium heat will allow the sugar to warm up and melt.
- You’ll see that it gradually turns brown and begins to caramelize
- Remove the sugar from the fire when it turns light golden and frothy, then stir in a tablespoon of water before adding it to the reduced milk.
- As you incorporate, thoroughly stir.
- Allow the milk to cool down until it is comfortable to dip your finger in. Keep the milk at room temperature; do not store it in the fridge.
- Once the milk has cooled down, take the hung yogurt out of the cloth to a bowl and whisk it.
- Once the yogurt is smooth, add a tiny quantity of the heated milk and mix.
- Pour all of the yogurt mixtures into the milk, whisking until there are no lumps visible.
- Your preferred container should receive the mixture. could be steel, galvanized steel, ceramic, or earthenware.
- Allow the milk to gently cool. After that, stir thoroughly before adding the yogurt and transferring the mixture to glass or earthenware bowls.
- For a few hours, allow the doi to sit in a warm location. Once the Mishti Doi has set, place it in the refrigerator and serve cold.
- To accentuate the taste you can also add date jaggery, this will make it even more delicious.
- You can also add some cardamom powder.
- You can add some fruits and nuts.
Also read: Gujiya Recipe (step by step)
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube