Momos chutney, a spicy red sauce made with dry red chillies, garlic and tomatoes, is a must have dipping sauce for Veg Momos. This hot and spicy sauce/chutney is also known as Tomato Chilli Garlic Sauce and has little watery consistency.
in india, momos are generally considered as a street food and can be seen served with variety of sauces and condiments. in this recipe i have shown one such variation which is mainly prepared with ripe and juicy tomatoes.
Momos Chutney is a spicy, fiery chutney condiment that is served as a dip with momos – which are Tibetan style dumplings.
Wherever I am, even if at home, it is non-negotiable for me to let go of the Momos Chutney or Momo Sauce and only have the momos. Because this is a special combination of flavors, textures and taste that is awesome.
Also if you want to make veg momos watch my veg momos recipe by clicking here
Lets make this recipe step by step easily
- 3 tomatoes
- 8 dried red whole chilies adjust as per your taste
- 2 cup water
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt as per taste
- A pinch of sugar
- Pour 2 cups water in a deep pot/pan and heat it over medium flame. Add dry red chilli and tomatoes in it.
- Cook them for a total of about 8 to 9 minutes. You will see that the tomatoes start to peel off.
- Turn off the flame and drain excess water by transferring them to a large sieve. Transfer them to a plate.
Once it is cooled down, remove the skin of tomatoes.
Transfer the peeled tomatoes and red chilli into blender.
- Also add garlic and ginger
Add sugar, vinegar, salt and soy sauce.
- Grind to a smooth puree. Don’t add water while grinding.
- Check for the seasoning and add more if required.
finally, momos chutney is ready to enjoy with wheat momos or veg momos.
This Momo Sauce is absolutely smashing with first, all momos. Next, you can serve it with fritters, pakoda, tikki or patties and even dosa, appam and idli. Or make spicy sandwiches, wraps and rolls with it.
Tips For Making
- Want that extra spicy kick from the chutney? Add more red chilies. If you can’t handle too much heat or making the chutney for kids, reduce the quantity accordingly and also deseed the chilies.
- Want a thicker chutney? Add a few blanched almonds while blending. This will alter the taste a bit, but it is going to be a nice, nutty flavor in the chutney. Make sure the nuts are not rancid or old.
- If the tomatoes are too tart, adjust the quantity of sugar accordingly. Alternatively, you can skip adding sugar too.
- For leftover Momos Chutney, put it in an airtight container/box and refrigerate. Just make sure to consume within 1 to 2 days.
- The tomatoes and dried red chilies are boiled for a smoother blending process. If you don’t want to boil, you can soak them too in hot water, for a good amount of time.
|Vitamin A||537 IU|
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube