Moong dal halwa is an addictive and delicious halwa variety made from mung lentils and ghee (clarified butter). it is one of the popular delicacies from the northern Indian cuisine, particularly from the Rajasthan state. This recipe is a rich halwa with lots of ghee, flavored with cardamom. It is perfect sweet for festivals like Diwali.
Moong dal halwa is an addictive and delicious halwa variety made from mung lentils and ghee (clarified butter). it is one of the popular delicacies from the northern Indian cuisine, particularly from the Rajasthan state. Moong dal halwa recipe is a rich halwa with lots of ghee, flavored with cardamom. It is perfect sweet for festivals like Diwali.
Moong dal halwa is usually made on celebratory or festive occasions like Holi, Diwali, marriages etc.
Moong dal halwa is delicious and one of the sweets you cannot stop eating. but making this halwa takes a lot of time and effort. So make this halwa on a day when you have plenty of time, patience and energy.
INGREDIENTS FOR MOONG DAL HALWA
- ½ cup Yellow Moong dal
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Milk
- ¼ cup + 2 tsp Ghee
- 1 Cardamom
- 5 Almonds or cashews
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MOONG DAL HALWA
- Wash and soak Moong dal for 3 hours. Drain water completely
- transfer to the mixer and Grind coarsely without any water.
Heat a pan and 1/4 cup ghee, add ground moong dal. Mix to avoid lumps.
Keep on stirring the halwa on a low to medium flame. The halwa has the raw aroma of the moong lentils and it should go away completely before you start with the next step.
- First the halwa is pasty, then starts getting lumpy and then starts breaking down and getting separated with fat releasing from the sides.
when It will turn golden and flavourful, Add milk along with ½ cup water
Continue cooking in medium flame and cook covered until it absorbs all water+ milk and gets cooked.
Add sugar and stir well. The sugar will melt and mix with the moong dal.
- cook until the mixture starts to separate the ghee and turns golden brown
now add cashew, almond and cardamom powder. mix well.
- finally, enjoy moong dal, you can garnish with some nuts.
- If dal is not cooked properly, the halwa texture will not be soft. It will be chewy.
- While grinding moong, make sure to drain water completely
- Use a non stick pan
- Repeat few times to coarsely grind moong dal.
- Reducing ghee will give dry texture instead of halwa consistency.
- Adding water equally with milk is important to cook the dal.