Murgh Musallum dish which has won hearts all over India and other countries abroad. ‘Murgh’ means chicken and ‘Mussalam’ is an Urdu word meaning whole or complete. Thus, Murgh Musallum literally means ‘whole chicken’.
Murgh Musallum is a dish that consists of whole chicken marinated in a ginger-garlic paste, stuffed with boiled eggs and seasoned with spices like saffron, cinnamon, cloves, poppy seeds, cardamom and chilli. It is cooked dry or in sauce, and decorated with almonds and silver leaves.
This Mughal inspired dish is the perfect addition to any special occasion. Over the years there have been so many variations to the recipe of Murgh Musallam. Some people stuff mince into it, some use eggs, some nuts and khoya, some rice and some also roast it without stuffing.
murgh musallam Recipe in English is an easy and traditional cooking recipe to prepare at home. It provides you an awesome taste of Chicken Recipes. If Murgh Musallam has left you drooling to try this flavorful royal dish, here is a recipe to make it at home by Recipes PLaza.
Ingrediants for Murgh Musallum
- 1 kilogram chicken
- 2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 10 flakes garlic (lasoon)(crushed)
- Salt To Taste
- 1 cup curd (dahi) or plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 bay leaves (tej patta)
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric (haldi) powder
- 8 cloves (lonng)
- 1 brown cardamom (elaichi)
- 3 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- Oil 3 tablespoons
Method for Murgh Musallum
- Make a paste of two teaspoons cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon.
- Mix garlic (lasoon) with half the ginger, half the garam masala, 1 tablespoon oil. Salt, 1/3rd of turmeric (haldi), half of curd (dahi) and the lemon juice and mix to paste.
- Marinate the chicken in this above mixture for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat the remaining oil in a deep pan.
- Add the remaining cumin seeds, remaining garlic (lasoon), 4 cloves (lavang), 1/2 teaspoon. Salt, brown cardamom (elaichi) and 4 bay leaves (tej patta)
- Fry a little and add the onions and sauté till they are lightly browned.
- Add the marinated chicken along with the marinade.
- Sauté, stirring lightly till the oil begins to separate.
- Add just enough water to cover the chicken, adjust salt and cook till the chicken is done.
- If you want to make this dish more delicious, add a paste of soaked almonds (optional). This will add a creamy texture to this dish.
- Transfer into a serving dish, sprinkle garam masala powder and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot
Serve this chicken with plain basmati rice, jeera rice, pea pulao, naan. This would be a great main dish for a holiday or a birthday or, heck, a random Wednesday night (it’s easy, so why not, lol). Enjoy!
Tips to make best murgh musallam
- Consider leaving the marinated chicken overnight for the best flavour.
- You can make a thick sauce or keep a thin gravy as per your taste
- You can also garnish the dish with mint leaves.
- if you want to use minimum oil then bake and broil it.
- You can check whether the chiken is cooked properly or not by inserting a knife.