Mushroom Bhaji is a popular vegetarian dish in Indian cuisine that is made with mushrooms and a variety of aromatic spices. The word “bhaji” means a vegetable or a vegetable-based dish that is typically stir-fried or sautéed with spices.
Mushrooms are a great source of protein, fiber, and vitamins and make for a healthy and tasty addition to any meal. The combination of spices used in this recipe adds a flavorful kick to the dish and makes it a perfect accompaniment to rice, roti, or even as a side dish.
The recipe for Mushroom Bhaji can vary from region to region in India, and it can be prepared in a variety of ways. Some versions may include tomatoes, potatoes, or other vegetables, while others may be spicier or milder in flavor. Overall, It is a delicious and nutritious dish that is easy to prepare and is enjoyed by vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
Ingredients for mushroom bhaji
- 500g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
Instructions for mushroom bhaji
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until it turns translucent.
- Add minced garlic, grated ginger, and finely chopped green chilli. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and stir well.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix everything well and let it cook for 8-10 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Cook until the mushrooms are soft and tender, and the masala is well coated. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
- Your delicious mushroom bhaji is ready to enjoy!
- Serve Mushroom Bhaji with steamed rice or pulao (a rice-based dish that is flavored with spices and mixed with vegetables). You can also serve it with Indian breads like roti, naan or paratha.
- Add a dollop of yogurt or raita (a side dish made with yogurt, cucumber, and spices) to balance the spiciness of the dish. Sprinkle some fresh coriander leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice to enhance the flavors.
- For a complete meal, pair Mushroom Bhaji with a salad or vegetable dish, like mixed vegetable curry or aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower curry).
Tips and Variations
- Make sure to select fresh mushrooms that are firm and free from any blemishes or spots. Clean them well before slicing.
- The amount of spices used in this recipe can be adjusted to suit your taste preferences. You can increase or decrease the amount of red chilli powder or green chillies depending on how spicy you like your food.
- You can add other vegetables like bell peppers, tomatoes, or potatoes to this recipe to increase the nutritional value and add more texture to the dish.
- You can use different types of mushrooms like button, shiitake, or oyster mushrooms to add variety to the dish.
- Adding a small amount of coconut milk can make the dish creamier and milder in flavor.
- Be careful not to overcook the mushrooms, as they can become slimy and lose their texture.
- Is Mushroom Bhaji a vegan dish?
Yes, It is a vegan dish, as it does not contain any animal products.
- Can I use canned mushrooms?
Fresh mushrooms are preferred for this recipe, but if fresh mushrooms are not available, you can use canned mushrooms instead. Drain the liquid from the can before using them.
- Can I make Mushroom Bhaji ahead of time?
Yes, you can make it ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat it on the stove or in the microwave before serving.
- Can I freeze Mushroom Bhaji?
Yes, It can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Store it in a freezer-safe container and thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
You Might Also Like:
- Bharwa mirch achar recipe
- Amrood (guava) ki Sabji recipe
- A Paneer Chili recipe
- Veg Pulao recipe
- Bajra paratha recipe
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube