Paneer Jalfrezi is a popular Indian vegetarian dish that originated in the Punjab region of India. It is a stir-fry dish made with paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and a variety of colorful vegetables such as bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
To make paneer jalfrezi, the paneer is first marinated in a mixture of spices and yogurt for at least 30 minutes. Then, the marinated paneer is sautéed with the vegetables and a sauce made with a blend of spices, tomato puree, and cream.
Paneer jalfrezi is a flavorful and healthy dish that is high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. It can be enjoyed with rice or roti (Indian flatbread) and is a perfect option for a vegetarian meal.
Ingredients for Paneer Jalfrezi
- 250 grams paneer, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Instructions for Paneer Jalfrezi
- In a bowl, mix the paneer with 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the sliced onions and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger paste, garlic paste, and green chilies. Fry for a minute.
- Add the sliced bell peppers and fry for 2-3 minutes until they soften.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for another 2-3 minutes until they soften.
- Add the coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Fry for a minute.
- Add the marinated paneer and fry for 2-3 minutes until the paneer is lightly browned.
- Add kasuri methi and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti. Enjoy!
Paneer Jalfrezi can be enjoyed with steamed rice. You can also try pairing it with fragrant basmati rice or jeera rice for added flavor. It can be served with Indian flatbread such as roti or naan. You can also try pairing it with paratha or kulcha for a more indulgent meal.
A cooling and refreshing yogurt-based raita is a perfect accompaniment to Paneer Jalfrezi. You can make simple cucumber raita or mix in some grated carrots for added nutrition. Whatever your choice of accompaniment may be, Paneer Jalfrezi is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next meal.
Tips and Variations
- Use fresh paneer for the best taste and texture.
- Marinate the paneer for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate.
- Use a mix of colorful bell peppers for a visually appealing dish.
- Adjust the number of spices and chili as per your taste preference.
- You can also add other vegetables like mushrooms, broccoli, or zucchini for added nutrition.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the dish for a tasty and nutritious variation.
- Add diced potatoes to the dish for a more filling and satisfying meal.
- Q: Is Paneer Jalfrezi spicy?
A: It can be as spicy or mild as you like. You can adjust the amount of chili as per your taste preference.
- Q: How long can Paneer Jalfrezi be stored?
A: It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Q: Can I use tofu instead of paneer?
A: Yes, you can use tofu instead of paneer for a vegan version of the dish. The cooking time may vary slightly.
- Q: Is Paneer Jalfrezi a healthy dish?
A: Paneer Jalfrezi is a healthy and nutritious dish that is high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. However, it can be high in calories and fat if made with too much oil or cream.
You Might Also Like:
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube