This Paneer Kathi Roll or Paneer Frankie is a delicious vegetarian Indian street food wrap. kathi roll or Frankie recipes have always been quick and easy street food recipes across India.
In this paneer roll recipe, the stuffing is a lip-smacking paneer tikka made on skillet, a vibrant green chutney and a crunchy mixed veggie salad. The outer wrap is made with whole wheat dough.
There is some prep work required for making the green chutney and the salad topping, but preparing these components is simple. If you have leftover whole wheat dough, then the recipe is relatively quick and easy.
These paneer rolls are perfect for an easy weeknight dinner, or for making a stack of them along with the chicken version for a party or potluck.
Ingredients For Paneer Roll
- 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour or Maida (all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required
- ½ cup water or add as required
- oil or ghee as required for roasting rotis
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 cup paneer/cottage cheese (cube)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Tomato ketchup
- ¼ tsp salt or as required
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
Instructions For Paneer Roll
Making Chapati Wrap:
- In a mixing bowl or pan or a large tray, take whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons of oil, and salt.
- Add water as needed and knead smooth dough similar to chapati or paratha dough.
- Cover the dough and keep it aside for it to rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, knead the dough again and divide it into equal portions. Give each portion the shape of a ball.
- Dust the dough ball with some flour. Then gently roll to thin roti. The roti should not be thick. If required while rolling, you can add some more flour.
- Heat the Tava over medium flame.
- When it is hot, place rolled chapati on it and cook until light brown spots appear on both sides.
- Then flip the roti and spread some oil all over.
- Then flip again when the second side is ½ cooked.
- Spread some oil on this side too.
- Flip once or twice more for even roasting.
- Remove and keep the roti in a roti basket or in a warm casserole. Prepare all rotis this way.
Method for Making Paneer Filling:
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small pan over low flame
- Add 1 tbsp butter and roast 1 cup cubed paneer.
- now add 2 tsp oil and saute 1 onion and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste.
- saute until the onions turn golden brown.
- further, add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp cumin powder, and ½ tsp garam masala tomato ketch up; mix well.
- saute on low flame until spices turn aromatic.
- Turn off the flame. Add salt to taste, and mix well. The filling for the roll is ready.
Making Paneer Rolls:
- At the time of serving, heat tava on medium flame and place previously cooked chapati over it.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon oil on both sides and cook for 20-30 seconds on each side.
- spread 1 teaspoon (or to taste) green chutney evenly over it.
- Add about ½ cup of paneer filling across the middle.
- Sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of grated cheese and 1/4 cup chopped lettuce over it (optional).
- To form a wrap, fold over one side of the paratha towards the middle. Fold over the other side, overlapping on the first side.
- Wrap the bottom half of the rolls in butter paper or aluminum foil to keep the filling from falling out while eating.
- Your Paneer roll is ready.
- Serve them with tomato and chilli chutney and tomato basil salad.
You can prepare stuffing and chapati in advance.
Spread 1-teaspoon mint chutney instead of green chutney on the top side of the wrap before placing crumbled paneer stuffing on it.
assemble them into rolls only when you are ready for serving. It tastes best when served hot.
You can use readymade tortillas or rumali roti instead of preparing fresh chapati to make spicy paneer wraps quickly.
Also, sprinkle some chat masala for extra zing.
To make it healthier, add chopped veggies like tomato, onion, and lettuce.
Tips and Variations
Also read: How to make Chicken Manchurian
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube