Pav Bhaji is a hearty, delightful, satisfying meal of mashed vegetable gravy with fluffy soft buttery dinner rolls served with a side of crunchy piquant onions, tangy lemon, and herby coriander.Make this super delicious popular street food.
A world-famous fast food dish or perhaps the king of street food from the western state of Maharashtra. The recipe is an amalgamation of vegetables spiced with a unique blend of spices known as pav bhaji masala and served with a soft bread roll aka pav.
Pav Bhaji is an amalgamation of all sorts of healthy vegetables which you might not like when eaten individually. You may add vegetables of your choice or even skip the ones you don’t like.
Pav bhaji is the most delicious dish through which kids can eat as many veggies as you want them to! Potatoes, tomatoes, and green peas all mashed together with spices and lemon and paired with buttery buns is a feast in itself.,
Ingrediant of pav bhaji
- 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup Lauki, chopped
- 1/2 cup Capsicum, chopped
- 1 cup Potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup beetroot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 3 tsp Pav bhaji masala
- 1 bunch of Coriander leaves
- 1 cube Butter
- 1 tsp oil
- Pav bhaji masala
How to Make Pav Bhaji
- Take all the vegetables listed in the ingredients. Wash them in running water.
- Add all the above-chopped veggies to a 3-litre pressure cooker.
- Add 2.25 to 2.5 cups of water.
- Pressure cook the veggies for 5 to 6 whistles or for about 12 minutes on medium heat.
- In a large Kadai heat 1 tbsp butter and oil.
- Once the butter melts and the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add the chopped onions and mix and sauté on low to medium heat.
- Cook the onions for around 4 minutes until golden brown in color.
- Add the finely chopped ginger, garlic, and green chili. Mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Let the tomatoes cook for 2 minutes.
- When the tomatoes have softened, add ½ cup of finely chopped capsicum. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add 1 tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp pav bhaji masala, 1 tsp Kasuri methi, and Salt to taste.
- Add all of the stock or water from the pressure cooker in which the veggies were cooked.
- Using a potato masher, mash the veggies until they are completely mixed with the masala.
- Keep on stirring occasionally and let the mashed vegetable gravy simmer for 8 to 10 minutes on low heat.
- When the bhaji simmers to the desired consistency, check the taste. Add salt, pav bhaji masala, red chili powder, or butter if needed.
- Bhaji is ready.
- Cut through the bread roll from the center so that you get two equal halves.
- Keep the heat to a low and then add 1 to 2 tablespoons butter or more if you like on a pan.
- Then place the pav on the butter.
- Press to toast the pav until crisp and golden brown from both sides.
You can turn them over and toast them more if required. Then remove it from a plate and keep it aside.
- Garnish with lots of cilantro.
- serve pav and bhaji as pav bhaji.
Notes For Recipe
- Use lots of butter and Kasuri methi! Preferably use Amul butter in your bhaji.
- A generous squeeze of lemon juice is a must before serving.
- Garnish with lots of cilantro.
- Use fresh ginger and garlic, the store-bought ginger-garlic paste won’t give the same flavor.
- When toasting the pav/bun, add a pinch of pav bhaji masala and Kasuri methi to the butter, and then toast the pav.
- Don’t forget the chopped onions while serving the pav bhaji!
Also read: Balushahi Recipe (Perfect & Delicious)