Potato chips are an easy and crisp finger snack recipe made with thinly sliced potatoes. it is perhaps one of the most popular snacks among all age groups across the globe. it is made with minimal ingredients and topped with different flavors and seasonings, but this recipe describes about chili-flavored aloo chips.
Homemade potato chips are fun and easy. A food processor with a slicing attachment is very helpful for slicing potatoes. Experiment with the thickness; you may like them thicker or thinner. I like to use normal oil for frying, but you can use safflower, corn, or peanut oil as well as vegetable oil.
Ingredients for Potato Chips
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Salt + as needed for seasoning
- 4 cups chilled water + 1 teaspoon salt (for rinsing)
- Freshly ground black pepper – as required
- Red Chilli powder – as required
Instruction for Potato Chips
In a bowl take 4 cups water + 1 teaspoon salt. Stir so that the salt dissolves.
- Now, Wash and peel the skin of the large potato. make sure to use a large potato to get good slices.
- slice the potato as thin as possible. You can use a potato slicer, mandoline slicer, or knife for slicing. I would not suggest using a knife as we need very thin slices of potatoes like the market ones.
- now transfer the potato slice to the bowl containing water (step 1).
Slice all the potatoes and immerse them in the water.
Make sure that the potato slices immediately drop into the water. This will prevent the potato slices from browning.
Wash the potato slices nicely in water for 2 or 3 times until the water runs out clean.
- After about 10-15 mins, remove the potato slices from the water and leave them to dry on a clean kitchen towel/paper napkins in a single layer.
- rub off the excess water. this helps to prevent oil spluttering.
- Heat oil in a wok or Kadai.
- Once the oil is hot, reduce the flame to medium-low and drop a batch of the potato slices.
- Do not overcrowd. stir occasionally and fry on medium flame. fry until the chips turn golden and crispy.
Remove the chips from the oil using a slotted spoon. You can spread it on a large baking sheet to drain the excess oil.
- Taste the potato chips and add additional salt per taste.
- Also, add red chili powder and freshly ground black pepper to the chips and toss it up and mix well making sure all the spices are coated.
- finally, enjoy the potato chips recipe or store them in an airtight container for a week.
Tips and variations
- firstly, make sure to use a fresh potato to get crispy chips.
- Adjust seasoning per taste and try out as my flavor combinations as you like.
- Slice the potato thinly as thin potato slices make the best potato chips.
- Use a nice, sharp potato slicer to get thin and crispy chips. If you cant find one, use a sharp knife to cut thin slices of the potato.
- These potato chips can also be air fried.
- Use any oil for frying – While I used Sunflower Oil, others like Canola Oil / Peanut Oil / Vegetable Oil should be ok to fry with.
- You can use the same technique to make sweet potato chips as well.
Also read: Fish fry recipe (step by step)