Rajma Masala – a protein-rich Red Kidney Beans curry, is best enjoyed with steamed rice as Rajma Chawal and is one of the healthiest and easiest to make Punjabi curries.
The gravy is thick and luscious, bursting with flavours with kidney beans that will melt in your mouth. Rajma Chawal is pure comfort food and this recipe will become a favourite!
the combination of rajma and chawal which is also known as rajma chawal is the staple food of many north Indians. it forms a semi-thick gravy which can also be served with jeera rice or even which choice of Indian bread like roti or chapati.
further, it is also appreciated because of the abundant supply of protein which makes it a complete meal when served with rice which is a source of carbohydrates.
Follow this Rajma Masala Curry Recipe and enjoy your dope of Rajma Curry with Chawa.
Ingredients for Rajma
- 1 cup Rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 Green Chilli, slit lengthwise
- 2 medium Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi (crushed)
- 2 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp salt or as required
Instruction for Rajma
- Thoroughly wash rajma (beans). Soak them in water for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Add 4 cups of water and salt; close the lid and pressure cook over medium flame.
- Turn off the flame and let the pressure release naturally (around 5-7 minutes) before opening the lid.
- The cooked rajma should be soft and mashed easily when pressed between the finger and thumb.
Drain excess water from cooked beans and keep both water and Rajma aside for later use.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan or Kadai over medium flame.
- Add cumin, bay leaf, cardamom, and cloves, and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until Cook the onions until they are light brown in color.
- Add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and 1 green chilli. Saute for a minute or until the raw smell of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add chopped tomato. Do stir in between to make sure that it is not sticking to the pan.
further keeping the flame on low add ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp garam masala, and ½ tsp salt.
- Saute this on a medium flame for a minute or two and let this cook partially covered for 8-10 minutes till the oil starts coming on the top and sides.
- Then add Boiled rajma along with its water (step 5). Mash some beans with the backside of a spoon to thicken the gravy and improve its taste and texture.
- Mix well and let this simmer gently for 10 minutes or longer till the gravy thickens.
- Check the salt and other spices.
- If gravy is too thick then add some water and bring it to a boil.
now add 1 tsp Kasuri methi, and 2 tbsp coriander, and mix well.
- Rajma masala curry is ready; transfer it to a serving bowl and enjoy!
Serve rajma with chawal (steamed rice) or jeera rice for a wholesome Punjabi meal. Roasted papad and laccha pyaaz is served on the side.
Punjabi rajma masala can be served with roti or paratha and you can have a pickle, papad, and kachumber salad on the side.
piping hot rajma masala and steamed rice topped with ghee and served with lachha pyaaz (sliced onions) on the side that brings everyone together!
It can also be served with butter naan, kulcha, or paratha and onion salad for lunch or dinner.
Store in individual or smaller portions in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag and freeze. It stays good for up to 2 months.
It stays fresh for 2-3 days depending on the climate where you live. Rajma masala should be stored in an airtight container after it cools down completely.
Tips and Variations
- firstly, soak the rajma at least for 8 hours, or it will take a long time to cook.
- Use red kidney beans because they take lesser time to cook and have a softer texture after cooking.
- also, simmer the curry for at least 15 minutes to absorb all the flavours.
- Replace chopped tomatoes with 3/4 cup tomato puree if you like gravy with a smooth texture.
- While simmering the gravy mash a few rajma using the back of the spatula which helps in thickening the gravy.
- finally, the rajma recipe tastes great when prepared slightly creamy.
Also read: Fish fry recipe (step by step)
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube