Rava khichdi is a traditional Indian meal made from semolina (rava) and vegetables. It is a rice and lentil-based variation of the traditional khichdi. The khichdi is a basic, quick, and easy dish that is frequently eaten for breakfast or as a light dinner.
It’s a great comfort food that goes well with pickles, yogurt, or a simple side salad. The dish is also well-known for being healthful and nutritious, with a decent balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fiber.
Rava Kichadi is a tasty tiffin made by blending roasted rava with cooked veggies, and tempered spices. Rava Kichadi is an excellent breakfast/dinner choice for both home and gatherings. The ingredients of Rava Kichadi and upma are quite similar, but the preparation, texture, and consistency distinguish Rava Kichadi.
I share many rava recipes on my website
Ingredients of Rava Khichdi
- 1 cup semolina (rava)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped (for garnishing)
Instructions for Rava Khichdi:
- In a skillet over low heat, dry toast the semolina until golden brown. Set it away.
- Heat ghee in the same pan and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, and chana dal. Allow them to sputter.
- Sauté the chopped onions and green chilies until the onions become transparent.
- Cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy, then add the chopped tomatoes and ginger.
- Add 2 cups of water and season with salt to taste. Bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and gradually whisk in the roasted semolina to avoid lumps from forming.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat once the water has been absorbed and the semolina has been cooked.
- Serve hot with pickle or curd and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Your delectable Rava Khichdi is now ready for serving. Enjoy!
- Serve immediately with a dollop of ghee and some roasted papad on the side.
- To enhance the flavor, serve with a side of coconut or mint chutney.
- Serve alongside raita, a yogurt-based side dish made by combining yogurt with chopped onions, tomatoes, and cucumber.
- Serve with steamed or roasted vegetables such as carrots, beans, cauliflower, or bell peppers for a complete dinner.
- To make it a more full lunch, combine rava khichdi with some crispy fried appetizers like vada or pakoras.
- Finally, serve your rava khichdi with a cup of hot tea or coffee for a delicious breakfast or evening snack.
tips and variation
- Dry roast the semolina on low heat until it turns golden brown. This prevents the semolina from becoming lumpy during cooking.
- Rava khichdi tastes best when served hot, so serve it immediately after cooking.
- Use fresh veggies to enhance the flavor of the dish, such as onions, tomatoes, and green chilies.
- Saute them for a few minutes, or until soft and tender. Overcooking the vegetables will turn them mushy and change the flavor of the dish.
- Add hot water to the roasted semolina to promote optimal cooking and water absorption.
- Continue to stir the mixture while adding the roasted semolina to the pan. This keeps lumps at bay and maintains a smooth texture.
Q. Is it possible to create Rava Khichdi without using vegetables?
A. While you may make the Khichdi without veggies, adding them improves the flavor and nutrition of the dish.
Q. Can I substitute other grains for the semolina in Rava Khichdi?
A. Other grains, such as rice, quinoa, or broken wheat, can be used to make Khichdi.
Q. Can I keep Rava Khichdi in the fridge?
A. The Khichdi can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Q. Can Rava Khichdi be frozen?
A. It is not recommended to freeze Rava Khichdi since the texture and flavor of the meal may be affected.
Q, Can I make Rava Khichdi in a pressure cooker?
A. Yes, you can make Rava Khichdi in a pressure cooker. Add the roasted semolina and vegetables along with water, salt, and spices to the pressure cooker
Rava Khichdi is a versatile and flavorful dish that can be prepared in no time. With its combination of semolina, vegetables, and aromatic spices, this khichdi offers a delightful culinary experience. By following our step-by-step guide, you can easily recreate this delicious South Indian delicacy and enjoy its comforting flavors. Treat yourself to a bowl of Rava Khichdi and savor its wholesome goodness.
You Might Also Like:
- Paneer do pyaza recipe
- Mushroom Pakoda recipe
- chicken chatpata recipe
- Oreo Mug Cake Recipe
- Paneer Dum Biryani Recipe
- Aloo paneer paratha recipe