Schezwan chicken fried rice is a popular Chinese dish that originated in the Sichuan province of China. It is a spicy and flavorful dish that combines stir-fried chicken, vegetables, and rice with a spicy Schezwan sauce. The sauce is made from a mixture of chili peppers, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and other spices.
The dish is usually made by first stir-frying the chicken and vegetables in a wok or large skillet. The cooked rice is then added to the skillet and stir-fried with the chicken and vegetables until everything is well combined. The Schezwan sauce is then added to the skillet and everything is tossed together until the rice and chicken are evenly coated with the sauce.
Schezwan chicken fried rice is a great one-pot meal that is easy to make and can be customized with different vegetables and proteins. It is a popular takeout option in Chinese restaurants and can also be made at home with just a few simple ingredients.
A simple dish that can be customized with different vegetables and proteins. It’s a popular takeout option in Chinese restaurants, but it’s also easy to make at home with a few basic ingredients.
Ingredients for Schezwan chicken fried rice:
- 2 cups of cooked white rice
- 1 boneless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 1/4 cup of diced onions
- 1/4 cup of diced carrots
- 1/4 cup of diced bell peppers
- 1/4 cup of frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons of Schezwan sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped scallions or cilantro for garnish (optional)
Instructions for Schezwan chicken fried rice:
- Cook the white rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the minced garlic and ginger and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the diced onions, carrots, bell peppers, and frozen peas to the skillet. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet and stir to combine with the vegetables.
- Add the cooked chicken and Schezwan sauce to the skillet. Stir well to coat the rice and chicken with the sauce.
- Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until everything is heated through and the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Serve hot and garnish with chopped scallions or cilantro if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Schezwan chicken fried rice!
- Serve with some stir-fried vegetables like broccoli, bok choy, or snow peas to add some additional nutrition and color to the dish. Add a side of egg rolls, dumplings, or spring rolls for a complete Chinese meal.
- Serve with some sliced cucumbers or a simple cucumber salad to help balance out the spicy flavors of the Schezwan chicken fried rice.
- If you’re looking for a low-carb option, you can substitute the white rice with cauliflower rice or another low-carb grain like quinoa or bulgur.
Tips and Variations
- It’s important to cut the chicken and vegetables into small, bite-sized pieces that are similar in size. This will ensure that everything cooks evenly and that you get a balanced mix of flavors in every bite.
- To get that classic stir-fry texture, it’s important to use a high heat when cooking the rice and vegetables. This will help to create a slight char on the ingredients and keep everything crispy and tender.
- Make sure that the chicken and vegetables are well seasoned before adding the rice and sauce.
- Feel free to add other ingredients like shrimp, beef, or tofu to the dish to make it your own. You can also adjust the spice level by adding more or less Schezwan sauce or adding some chili flakes or hot sauce.
- To prevent the dish from becoming too saucy, it’s best to add the Schezwan sauce towards the end of the cooking process. This will allow the rice and vegetables to absorb some of the sauce without becoming overly soggy.
- Can I use brown rice instead of white rice?
Yes, you can use brown rice instead of white rice in this recipe. Keep in mind that brown rice will take longer to cook and may require a bit more liquid. You can also use other grains like quinoa, bulgur, or barley as a substitute.
- Can I make this dish vegetarian or vegan?
Yes, you can make this dish vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using tofu or other protein substitutes instead. To make it vegan, you’ll need to ensure that the Schezwan sauce you’re using is also vegan-friendly.
- How do I store leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop with a bit of water or broth to help loosen up the rice.
- Can I freeze this dish?
Fried rice doesn’t freeze well because the texture of the rice changes when frozen and thawed. It’s best to enjoy this dish fresh or store leftovers in the refrigerator for a few days.