Schezwan chutney is a spicy condiment that is commonly found in Indian and Chinese cooking. It’s created by combining dried red chilies, garlic, ginger, vinegar, and occasionally other ingredients like soy sauce, sugar, and spices. The paste that results is then cooked in oil to create flavor.
Schezwan chutney is well-known for its bold and spicy flavor, and it can be used as a snack dip, a marinade for meats and veggies, or a flavoring for stir-fries and noodle meals. It’s a versatile condiment that can be tailored to personal preferences by adding more or less chilli or other components.
Schezwan chutney is commonly found in Indian-Chinese food, which is a fusion of Indian and Chinese flavors that evolved over time.in India. It’s also famous in other Asian countries like Singapore and Malaysia.
Ingredients for Schezwan chutney
- 15-20 dried red chilies
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- Salt to taste
Instructions for Schezwan Chutney
- Soak the dried red chilies in warm water for about 30 minutes. Drain the water and remove the stems.
- In a blender, add the soaked red chilies, garlic, ginger, and a little bit of water. Blend until it forms a smooth paste.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the chili paste and sauté for a few minutes until the oil separates from the paste.
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, tomato ketchup, and salt to the pan. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes until the chutney thickens.
- Allow the chutney to cool down and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- Your homemade Schezwan chutney is ready! You can enjoy it with various dishes like momos, fried rice, noodles, or use it as a dip for snacks.
Schezwan chutney can be served as a dip or sauce with a variety of dishes. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- As a dipping sauce with fried or steamed momos, dumplings, or spring rolls.
- As a condiment for sandwiches, burgers, or wraps. You can spread a generous amount of Schezwan chutney on the bread or use it as a dipping sauce.
- As a flavoring agent for stir-fried vegetables or noodles. You can add a spoonful of chutney to your stir-fried vegetables or noodles and toss well.
- As a marinade for grilled or baked chicken, fish, or tofu. You can marinate the protein in the chutney for a few hours and then grill or bake it to get a spicy and flavorful dish.
- As a topping for pizza or pasta. You can drizzle some Schezwan chutney on top of your pizza or pasta to give it a spicy kick.
Tips and variation
- You can add a tablespoon of honey or brown sugar to the chutney to balance out the heat and add a touch of sweetness.
- You can add some chopped onions or spring onions to the chutney for a crunchier texture.
- If you like a tangy flavor, you can add a tablespoon of lime juice to the chutney.
- For a smoky flavor, you can roast the red chilies in a dry pan before soaking them in water.
- You can add some roasted peanuts or cashews to the chutney to give it a nutty flavor.
- How long does Schezwan chutney last?
It can last for up to two weeks if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Can I use fresh red chilies instead of dried red chilies?
Yes, you can use fresh red chilies instead of dried red chilies. However, the flavor and consistency of the chutney may vary.
- Can I make Schezwan chutney without garlic and ginger?
While garlic and ginger are essential ingredients, you can still make it without them. However, the flavor may not be as authentic as with these ingredients.
- Can I use any other oil instead of sesame oil?
Yes, you can use any other cooking oil like vegetable oil, canola oil, or peanut oil instead of sesame oil.
- How can I make the chutney less spicy?
To make the chutney less spicy, use fewer red chilies or remove the seeds from the chilies before blending.
- Can I freeze Schezwan chutney?
Yes, you can freeze Schezwan chutney in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Just make sure to thaw it before using it.
In conclusion, Schezwan Chutney is not just a condiment; it’s a culinary masterpiece that adds depth and excitement to your dishes. At Recipes Plaza, we bring you a product crafted with passion and precision, aiming to redefine your culinary experience.