Shrikhand is a delicious and simple dessert recipe made with thick yogurt flavored with sugar, saffron and cardamom. It is an easy and popular creamy yogurt or curd-based dessert recipe from Maharashtrian cuisine.
Low-fat, rich, and creamy Greek yogurt shrikhand is generally flavored with saffron, cardamom, or diced fruits and served with masala puri or as a standalone dessert. You can make this delicious sweetened yogurt using just a few ingredients, and with only a few minutes of preparation. Seriously, it just takes 15 minutes of work!
Ingredients for Shrikhand
- 3 cups Curd (Yogurt)
- 8 to 9 tablespoons sugar (or according to taste)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- 24 to 30 saffron strands (2 pinches) – optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons nuts (of your choice) – cashews, almonds, or pistachios
- 2 tablespoons warm milk (needed only if using saffron)
Instructions for Shrikhand
- You can use either homemade curd (plain yogurt) or store-bought curd according to availability. Use curd that is not sour otherwise, shrikhand will turn sour.
- Keep a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and line it with a muslin cloth, paper towels, or a cheesecloth.
- Pour the fresh curd into the lined strainer.
- Wrap the muslin cloth from all sides and tightly tie it.
- Gently press to start the whey dripping.
- then, Keep the bowl in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours or overnight to drain.
- After 6-7 hours, untie the muslin cloth and transfer thick strained curd to a bowl.
- Use the collected whey in your everyday Indian food like preparing roti, gravies, rice dishes, lentils, etc. It is very rich in nutrients and offers a lovely tangy flavor.
- you will be left with thick creamy yogurt called chakka. The texture is similar to that of cream cheese.
- If using Greek yogurt, you can skip the process of hanging it and use it directly.
- Now that you have the hung curd ready, you can make delicious shrikhand in just a few minutes’ time!
- Add 2 tablespoons of warm milk in a small bowl and steep 2 pinches of saffron strands. Stir and set aside.
- Using saffron to flavor the shrikhand is optional. Skip this step if you are not using it.
- Add fine or superfine sugar or raw sugar and lightly stir with a spatula or spoon. You can also use powdered sugar or castor sugar
- Add saffron-steeped milk and cardamom powder.
- Mix properly using a hand beater or a spoon until smooth.
- Whip until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is very smooth. Check the taste and add more sugar if required.
- Add chopped nuts (any nuts like almonds, cashews, pistachios, chironji) and mix well.
- Refrigerate prepared shrikhand for at least an hour before serving.
- Transfer it to the serving bowls and garnish with slivered dry fruits. Serve!
Enjoy shrikhand as it is like a sweet dessert. Want even more crunch and a bit of richness? Serve alongside delicious fried Poori!
As it is a light dessert, we like to enjoy it after our everyday meals too. Other than enjoying it with poori or on its own, you can use it in tarts, pies, cheesecake, parfaits, etc to make fusion desserts.
Actually, making shrikhand ahead of time and storing it in the refrigerator will help it to firm up a little bit more.
It also tastes fantastic when served cold. It can be stored for about a week in an airtight container that is clean and dry.
Every time you take out shrikhand, use a dry, clean spoon.
Additionally, it is freezer-safe! For a month or two, you can freeze it in an airtight freezer-safe container.
Enjoy it after thawing it in the fridge for the night. While freezing, the texture could somewhat alter, but stir it thoroughly before eating.
Tips and variations
- To fasten the process you can use Greek yogurt. It is already quite thick and so you don’t have to hang it. Just mix it with the flavorings and your shrikhand is ready.
- Include nuts of your choice as garnish – almonds, cashews, pistachios, taste good.
- Use double-toned or full-cream milk to prepare curd. Alternatively, you can use store-bought curd (yogurt).
- Cardamom is not to be missed in shrikhand. But you can omit saffron from the recipe. You could flavor it with rose water as well.
- You can easily halve any of the recipes or make a large batch.
- Add more or less sugar depending on how sweet you like it.