Spring rolls is an easy, tasty, crispy snack recipe made with mixed vegetable stuffing wrapped in thin, translucent roll sheets. Hot handheld pockets of spiced veggies are wrapped and deep fried for an endlessly adaptable and delightfully dippable snack. This yummy recipe for crispy vegan Veg Spring Rolls can be made with whatever veggies you have on hand.
These stuffed rolls have a deep-fried crispy outer layer and a delicious stuffing of mixed vegetables. For the filling, apart from mixed vegetables, boiled noodles and soy sauce are added along with spices for the flavor.
these are generally served as a starter or appetizer before any Indo-Chinese meal, but can also be served next to samosa or pakora for any party and occasion. It’s an easy task to make the perfect spring rolls at home when you are using readymade wrappers because they are easily available in grocery stores, and you can find them in the freezer section.
There are so many variants of spring rolls. So you will find may kinds of spring roll recipes. The can be savory, sweet, and even non-fried and fresh spring rolls like the Vietnamese spring rolls. The stuffing ingredients also vary with each Asian country.
The homemade Spring Roll Wrappers take just a few pantry ingredients and can easily be made. You are also welcome to use store-bought wrappers to cut back on prep time. Once you have the wrappers ready, making the spring rolls is easy as can be!
I’m excited to show you how to make your favorite Indo-Chinese street food at home using just a few simple ingredients!
Ingredients for spring rolls
- 2 cups all-purpose flour/maida / plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water or add as required
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
For Vegetable Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (finely chopped)
- 2.5 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced capsicum (green bell pepper)
- 3 tablespoons chopped spring onion greens (scallion greens)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup Boiled Noodles, roughly chopped (optional)
- salt as required
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper or black pepper powder
- Oil, for deep frying
- 4-5 tablespoons all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- 4 to 5 tablespoon water or add as required
Instructions for spring rolls
preparing spring roll wrapper:
firstly, in a large bowl take 2 cups of maida, 2 tablespoons of corn flour, and ½ teaspoon salt.
With a wired whisk or a spoon mix the dry ingredients.
add 2 cups water and mix well using a whisk.
Whisk well to a get smooth and slightly thin consistency of the batter without any lumps.
now heat a pan and grease the pan
The batter should be of flowing consistency. Depending on the quality of the flour, you can add less or more water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the batter to the pan.
swirl once making sure the batter is uniformly spread.
Add 1 to 2 tbsp more water if the batter becomes thick while preparing the wrappers.
cook for a minute or until the sheet is cooked without browning.
now flip over gently and continue to cook.
- finally, the spring roll wrapper is ready.
Preparation for stuffing
- Cook noodles in boiling water, for just a few minutes, according to package instructions.
Once the noodles are cooked al dente, then drain the water from the noodles and rinse them thoroughly in water.
- Chop all the veggies as per the instructions given in the ingredient section.
- Please note you can use your choice of veggies.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a broad pan over a high flame.
Add garlic, ginger, and onion, and stir fry over high heat for 1 minute.
Stir and then add all the chopped veggies.
- Increase the heat to high and stir-fry the veggies for 4 to 5 minutes. stir fry without losing the crunchiness of vegetables.
- Add boiled noodles and stir once.
Add crushed black pepper powder, vinegar, salt to taste, and soy sauce.
Both black pepper, salt, and soy sauce can be adjusted as per your taste.
- mix well making sure everything is well combined.
- Switch off the heat and add the spring onion greens. Stir and keep the vegetable filling aside.
Preparing Sealing Paste
Add 4-5 tablespoons maida in water to make a smooth and medium-thick paste.
Whisk very well to make a thick paste without any lumps.
folding and frying spring roll
- Now take the spring roll wrapper.
- Then place 1 to 2 tablespoons of the veggie stuffing on one side.
- Now with your fingertip or a pastry brush, apply the paste on the edges of the wrapper.
- Cover the stuffing by folding the bottom corner. Fold it from one side (either left or right) to wrap the end portion of the stuffing.
Fold it from another side. Now, start rolling gently toward the top edge. Seal it tightly by sticking open ends.
- There are many ways of wrapping the spring rolls you can wrap them as your choice by taking ideas from others.
- Place it on the plate and make the remaining rolls by following the same method.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
When oil is medium hot, place 3-4 prepared rolls at a time (more or less depending on the size of the pan) in oil.
Once they become light golden, turn them over and fry the other side.
Fry till they are crisp and golden turning over as needed. These spring rolls get fried quickly.
- Drain excess oil and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towel. Vegetable spring rolls are ready to serve.
Tips and Variations
- firstly, make sure to seal the roll well, else there are chances for stuffing to come out while frying.
- Add beans sprouts, sweet corns and mushrooms for variation.
- also, if you are health conscious then you can replace maida with wheat flour.
- To make the stuffing spicy and pungent, opt to add some finely chopped green chillies.
- additionally, fry on low flame, else the roll will not be crunchy from inside.
- For a vegetarian option, you can add scrambled paneer.
- finally, veg spring roll recipe tastes great when served hot and crispy.
Also read: Vanilla Cupcake recipe
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube