Sweet corn soup is a classic Indo-Chinese comfort soup recipe made with sweet corn and vegetables that can be a perfect appetizer meal prepared in the Instant Pot pressure cooker or Stovetop. Vegan and Gluten-free.
Sweet corn soup is a tasty, comforting soup made by boiling potato puree with spices. Sweet corn soup is added with sweet Corn for crunchiness & flavours and ideal choice as an appetizer & as a replacement for evening tea. Baby Corn Soup Recipe is simple and quick to cook.
With just a few simple ingredients this comforting corn soup will be ready in about 30 minutes. Use fresh corn or canned corn. Serve hot as brunch or a light lunch or dinner with crusty bread or pasta.
Try this easy recipe and enjoy it with your loved ones!
Ingredients for Sweet corn soup
Steaming Corn and corn paste
- 5 medium-sized baby corn
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons water – for blending corn
- 2 teaspoon oil or butter
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ inch ginger (minced)
- 1 green chili (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup carrot (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped spring onion whites
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper or add as per taste
- ½ cup sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
- salt to taste
- 3 cup water
- 1.5 teaspoon white vinegar
for corn flour slurry:
- 1 tsp corn flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
Instructions for Sweet corn soup
- Rinse baby corn, trim the edges chop them roughly and transfer to a pressure cooker.
Now pressure cook for 4-5 whistles or until mushy.
- Remove steamed corn cobs with the help of pasta tongs and place them in a bowl or plate. Leave the corn cobs to cool at room temperature.
- Use a knife to carefully scrape the corn kernels from the cobs.
- now prepare sweet corn paste by taking pressure-cooked sweet corn in a blender with 3 tablespoons of water.
- Grind to a smooth paste.
Heat a large pot on medium heat.
Once it’s hot, add oil to it, and then add the chopped ginger, garlic, and green chili.
Saute the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds and then add the carrots and green onion whites.
- Mix and sauté for two minutes on low heat or until vegetables are slightly cooked.
- Also, add the remaining ½ cup of sweet corn.
- Keep the heat to a low and add the blended corn paste. Stir and mix well.
- further, add 3 cup water, and salt to taste, and stir well.
- Bring the soup to a boil on medium-low to medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- now prepare a corn flour slurry by mixing 1 tsp corn flour in ¼ cup water.
- Mix well to a lump-free mixture and then add this paste or slurry to thicken the sweet corn soup.
- Mix it with the entire soup mixture.
- Also, add the white vinegar along with the crushed black pepper and Adjust the salt at this stage. Mix well.
Stir and let the soup come to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Check the seasonings and adjust if necessary. Pour the corn soup into soup bowls.
- Garnish the sweet corn soup with green onion greens and serve hot!
finally, enjoy sweet corn soup garnished with spring onions.
Serve the soup hot and garnish with chopped celery, scallion/spring onion greens or crushed black pepper. This recipe serves 2 servings but is easily adaptable to be scaled to make a larger batch.
If there are any leftovers, refrigerate for 1 to 2 days. Reheat in a small saucepan adding some water or vegetable stock to thin the soup a bit – as it will thicken more after refrigeration.
Tips and Variations
- You may add other veggies like beans, cabbage, mushroom to this soup.
- The consistency of the soup is thickish more like cream soup.
- also, to make it sweeter, add a tsp of sugar. my sweet corns were too sweet so i skipped it.
- For the liquids, you can choose water or vegetable stock.
- Use freshly ground pepper powder.
- Adjust the consistency by adding less or more water or veggie stock.
- furthermore, add corn flour paste checking the consistency.
Also read: Chicken Momos Recipe (step by step)
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube