Everyone loves cupcakes! Vanilla Cupcake are super easy to make and the texture is light, fluffy, and melt-in-your-mouth good. They use such simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry too – score!
When topped with my favorite vanilla buttercream, these vanilla cupcakes really are a dream! This is a super easy vanilla cupcake recipe. With melted butter and no fancy ingredients it comes together super fast with just a whisk!
These cupcakes are perfect for birthday parties and baby showers and they always disappear fast which is why I always make a double batch for gatherings. They are quick and easy to make and homemade cupcakes taste way better than boxed cupcake mix.
These Vanilla Cupcakes are…..
- Soft and fluffy, with a plush velvety crumb;
- Infused with elegant buttery and vanilla flavours;
- Perfectly shaped with a sweet golden dome;
- Much more tender than your usual run-of-the-mill cupcake recipes;
- Less sweet than typical cupcakes;
- Safer to make than typical “cream butter and sugar” recipes; and
- Stay fresh and moist for 4 days (minimum).
Ingredients for Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup plain / all purpose flour (maida)
- 3/4 cup caster / superfine sugar (you can powder normal sugar)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk (full fat)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 tbsp water or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Instructions for Vanilla Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (160°C fan) for 20 minutes before starting the batter (Note 8). Place shelf in the middle of the oven.
Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. Set aside.
- Add the all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixer bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Pour the oil in a microwave save bowl, add the butter, and heat just until the butter has melted. Set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar on medium-high speed 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture turns pale yellow and has tripled in volume.
- Then, slowly pour in the oil and butter mixture while whisking on low.
- Add 2 tsp vanilla and beat to combine.
- When the egg is whipped, scatter 1/3 flour across surface, then beat on Speed 1 for 5 seconds. Stop beating, add half remaining flour, then mix on Speed 1 for 5 sec.
- Add remaining flour, then mix on Speed 1 for 5 – 10 sec until the flour is just mixed in.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well combined. Please note that the batter will be very thin.
- Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners, filling each about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes at 350 °F, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
For the frosting
- beat the butter in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered (confectioners sugar) a half cup at a time and mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of water or milk and and mix on medium to high speed for 7-8 minutes until light and creamy.
- Add remaining powdered sugar, water or milk, as needed, and salt and mix until smooth.
- Then, place the mixture in a piping bag with your favorite piping nozzle and decorate your cupcakes when they have completely cooled to room temperature.
- eggs, buttermilk and butter must be at room temperature to keep your batter an even consistency.
- Baking soda (bi-carb) won’t make the cake rise quite as well. If you have no choice, then use 3/4 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full or they will overflow and cause a muffin top.
- 30 minutes preheat is recommended to ensure no loss of heat when the oven door is opened.
- You can also freeze these cupcakes, without filling, for up to 2-3 months. Then just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then fill and frost as normal!
We have so many frosting options so pick your craving:
- Blackberry Frosting – you’ll love the flavor and color
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream – well worth the extra effort
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting – whipped and decadent
- Vanilla Cupcake Frosting – our go-to cupcake frosting