Veg cutlets, sometimes referred to as Vegetable cutlets are crisp, flavorful patties cooked with a combination of nourishing vegetables, flavorful spices, fresh herbs, and crispy breadcrumbs.
it is a sought-after snack recipe, particularly with vegetarian or ,vegan diet followers and is mainly served during the evening with a cup of tea.
This stomach-filling, mildly spicy, and crispy Indian cutlet tastes irresistibly delicious when served with an assortment of spicy, sweet, and sour dips/chutneys like green mint chutney and tamarind chutney, etc.
My recipe is a veggie cutlet that is suitable for both vegetarians and vegans. A veg cutlet is basically a veggie patty. The patty dough is completely customizable with the veggies you want to add.
Veg cutlets are crumb coated or breaded so that they become crispy. To crumb coat a batter is made of all-purpose flour (maida). For a healthier option instead of all-purpose flour, opt to use gram flour (besan) or maize flour (cornmeal or makki ka atta).
Ingredients for Veg cutlet
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- ¼ cup chopped beans
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ cup Sweet Corn
- ½ cup beetroot
- 3 cups of water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder – optional
- 2 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (maida)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of water
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup Dry Breadcrumbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil
Instructions for veg cutlet
- Rinse, peel, and chop carrots, and potatoes. Also, rinse and chop beans.
- Rinse green peas. Remember to chop the vegetables in small sizes so that they cook faster.
- Pour 3 cups of water into a pan or a steamer pan.
- Add these chopped veggies. Sprinkle¼ tsp salt over the chopped veggies.
- Now you have the option of cooking the vegetables in a pan, stove-top pressure cooker, or instant pot.
- Now place the pan/steamer pan with the vegetables on the trivet in the instant pot
- Seal the lid and position the valve to seal. Pressure cook for 10 to 15 minutes on high pressure.
- Wait for 5 minutes after you hear the beep sound when the cooking is complete. Lift and release the pressure valve carefully. Open the lid.
- Drain any waterlogged in the veggies using a strainer. Set aside for the steamed veggies to become warm at room temperature.
- When warm mash the vegetables with a potato masher. Make sure the veggies are drained well before you mash them. It should be a slightly chunky mixture.
- In this cutlet recipe, I have used Regular breadcrumbs which work wonderfully.
- To make your own breadcrumbs, blitz 5 to 6 slices of bread in a food processor or blender till fine to get bread crumbs.
- In another small bowl, take 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and 3 to 4 tablespoons of water.
- Stir and mix this mixture to get a smooth paste without any lumps.
Make Veg Cutlet Mixture
- To the mashed veggies add ½ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp garam masala, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 2 tbsp coriander, and salt to taste.
- Add 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs. This helps in binding the cutlet mixture
- Combine and mix everything thoroughly to make the cutlet mixture dough.
- Take some portions of the cutlet dough mixture and shape them into patties. You can also use a cutlet mold to make various shapes of the cutlet.
- Take the remaining 1/4 cup of dry breadcrumbs on a small plate.
- Take a cutlet and dip in the all-purpose flour paste gently.
now coat with crushed corn flakes/breadcrumbs.
- Bread all the cutlets this way and set aside.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick frying pan or griddle over medium flame.
- When pan is medium hot, place 2-3 patties and cook it until the bottom surface turns golden brown for around 1-2 minutes.
Flip each one and cook another side until it turns golden brown.
- Drain them on kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Crispy Indian vegetable cutlets are ready for serving.
Tips and Variations
- you can use rava (cream of wheat) to coat the veg cutlet instead of bread crumbs.
- You can also shallow fry them instead of pan-frying. Deep frying these can be tricky
- Avoid using watery or mushy vegetables like pumpkin, various gourds, eggplant, okra etc.
- Grease your palms with oil while making vegetable cutlets from mixture to get even surface of it.
Serve them with mint chutney and tomato ketchup. The combination of potato and green vegetables in crispy yet soft textured cutlets makes it the preferred vegetarian snack for children.
Place veg cutlets between two slices of buttered pieces of bread (like a sandwich) to make a stomach-filling sandwich.
|Vitamin C||14 mg|
Also read: Sabudana Khichdi Recipe