A tasty sabji called “Vrat wale Aloo” is cooked from boiled potatoes, peanuts, and a few spices. It is a food that is free of gluten yet high in carbohydrates. It provides the body with immediate energy, making it the ideal snack on days when Hindus are fasting (vrat).
You can make this sabzi and serve it with pooris or chappatis any time. It is naturally difficult to go without eating salt during Navratri, the nine-day holiday where fasting is observed the whole festival, hence rock salt or sendha namak is used in place of regular salt.
The ideal food for Navratri or any other vrat season is an Indian stew called Vrat Wale Aloo Rasedaar. Cook is best served hot with roti, kuttu ki puris, or even kuttu ke pakodas for lunch or dinner.
I like to make it for Navratri, Shivratri, Janamashtami, or Ekadashi vrat. This aloo sabji comes together in under 15 minutes using simple ingredients.
Ingredients for vrat wale aloo
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 500 Gram Potatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ajwain
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1.5 to 2 cups of water
- rock salt or sendha namak as required
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
Instructions for vrat wale aloo
Rinse the potatoes, and to the pressure cooker add the potatoes with 3 cups of water.
Boil the 3 potatoes in the pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles,
boil till the potatoes cook and soften.
Peel, cut and keep them aside.
Making Vrat Wale Aloo:
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Once hot add cumin seeds and ajwain.
- Let them sizzle then add chopped green chilies and saute for a few seconds.
- add the 3 boiled potatoes. Stir and mix well
- turn over high heat, till they look slightly fried.
- Then add peanuts (optional), rock salt (Sendha namak), and red chili powder. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water. Stir it well.
- Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, till tender.
- Using the back of your spatula, mash a few potatoes for a thicker gravy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve vrat wale aloo hot.
Tips and variations
- As it cools the gravy will thicken.
- If it is rested for 10-30 minutes or so, all the gravy will be absorbed by the potatoes.
These vrat wale aloo goes well with Kuttu ki poori or Kuttu roti or Rajgire ki poori or Rajgira paratha or Singhare ki poori.
Also read: Fish fry recipe (step by step)
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube