White sauce pasta is one of the easiest pasta recipes that you can make. It is also one of the most popular pasta recipes. You can make the classic white sauce pasta or make it more colorful and nutritious by adding some vegetables.
White Sauce Pasta (Bechamel Sauce Pasta) is a creamy pasta dish where cooked pasta is coated with a rich and cheesy white sauce. This recipe comes together in 30 minutes and tastes just like the one you get in restaurants.
White Sauce Pasta is an easy-to-make recipe of cooked pasta in a delicious white sauce – also known as Béchamel sauce. Simply prepare the white sauce – a mixture of butter, milk, flour and spices and pour it over your cooked pasta.
This White Sauce Pasta
- is cheesy and creamy.
- filled with veggies like peppers, and broccoli.
- great way to make kids eat veggies!
- great for date nights, just pair it with homemade garlic bread for a complete meal.
- also good to pack in lunch boxes.
White Pasta is also extremely simple to make and takes only 15-17 minutes; prepare lightly spiced aromatic fresh white sauce, stir-fry the veggies, boil the pasta, and mix them all. Easy, isn’t it?
Some vegetables that go great with this recipe are carrots, green peas, beans, cauliflower, peppers (capsicum), sweet corn, broccoli, zucchini or baby corn.
Serve white sauce pasta as a snack or a light dinner.
Ingredients for White Sauce Pasta
- 150 grams of penne pasta
- 6 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped Carrot
- ¼ cup chopped Green Capsicum
- ½ cup broccoli florets (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1½ tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (maida)
- 2 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon pepper (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Flakes
- Salt to taste
- cheese (for garnishing)
Instructions for White Sauce Pasta
Heat 5-6 cups of water in a large pot over high heat.
Once the water comes to a rolling boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt to it.
- once the water comes to a boil, add 2 cup of pasta.
Cook the pasta on a medium to high flame for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is just cooked, stirring a few times while cooking.
Do not overcook the pasta otherwise, the final dish will become mushy.
Once the pasta is boiled, drain it using a colander and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a pan or Kadai over high flame.
Once the butter is melted and slightly hot, add garlic and onions and cook for a minute, stirring frequently.
Add ¼ cup finely chopped carrot, ¼ cup finely chopped green capsicum, ½ cup broccoli florets, and salt.
- saute for a minute or until vegetables shrink slightly yet remain crunchy.
Turn off the flame and transfer them to a plate.
white sauce preparation:
- to prepare the white sauce, heat 2 tbsp butter.
When the butter melts and starts to bubble, then add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
Using a wired whisk stir the flour quickly as soon as you add it. Keep on stirring so that no lumps are formed.
- saute until the maida turns aromatic yet does not change its color.
- Keep the flame to the lowest and then pour milk in a gentle stream. Pour the milk with one hand and stir the sauce mixture with the other.
Stir and mix for 1-2 minutes. mix continuously, until the sauce thickens.
On a low flame, simmer the sauce till it thickens.
When the sauce has thickened well and coats the back of a spoon, switch off the flame.
- now add ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon chilli flakes, ½ teaspoon mixed herbs, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- mix well making sure everything is well combined.
- add in sauted vegetables and combine well.
- now add in boiled pasta and mix gently.
- mix gently making sure everything is well combined.
Transfer it to a serving plate. White sauce pasta is now ready. Garnish it with grated cheese and serve while they are still hot.
For a comforting dinner, serve this delectable, creamy, and smooth white sauce pasta with Garlic Knots, and you’re done for the day. You can Serve hot pasta on its own or with tomato soup and bread pizza or garlic bread.
Serve this pasta with garlic bread, dinner rolls, bruschetta, or open toast on the side. You can serve it as a side dish with your Italian meal. Some sides such as parmesan asparagus, roasted green beans, and roasted broccoli, are also a great idea to serve with this creamy pasta.
This white sauce pasta dish is best served immediately. If you have leftovers, store them in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
The pasta thickens quite a lot while storing, so when you are ready to serve it again, add some warm milk or broth and reheat on the stove over low heat until warmed through.
Tips and variations
- You can use any pasta of your choice. Just make sure that you don’t overcook it
- Saute the maida on low to medium flame to prevent it from changing colour.
- Add veggies of choice. I often add green peppers, carrots and peas. Even mushrooms would go well.
- White Pasta Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools down. So serve and enjoy pasta while they are still hot.
- Adding some cream and cheese just makes it extra rich.
- The amount of seasoning and type of seasoning used can be adjusted to preference.
- Do not miss the garlic! It adds a beautiful flavor to the pasta.
- additionally, add cream along with milk to make creamier white sauce for pasta.