As a fantastic source of protein, eggs can be used to create a wide variety of mouthwatering dishes. One such incredible dish is egg masala curry, which is simply boiled eggs simmered in a hot masala gravy. In addition to the flavours and tastes of the spices used, it has a nice tangy tomato flavor.
Every home makes egg curry in a different way, and with a few tweaks, you may create a completely unique flavour. I’m going to share my mother’s recipe today that she’s been using for years.
This recipe for egg curry is made with a few spices, onions, tomatoes. It is quite filling and soothing and goes well with parathas (flatbread) and rice. Because everyone will want repeated servings, prepare additional quantities.
Ingredients for egg curry recipe
- 5 Boiled Eggs peeled
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 Onions finely chopped (medium)
- 3 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed Kasuri methi
- 1 Cinnamon small stick
- 3 Cardamom pods
Instruction for egg curry recipe
- 6-7 cups of water should be added to a medium-sized saucepan, and the eggs should be kept at the bottom of the pan in a single layer
Eggs must be covered with water for at least an inch.
- Salt the pan with 2 teaspoons. Salting the eggs will stop the whites from escaping while they are cooking and stop the eggs from cracking. switch off the heat
Drain the hot water and fill the pan with cold water.
- Let the eggs cool down for 5 minutes. Drain the water, take the eggs out and peel them.
- With a kitchen towel, wipe the peeled eggs and fork-prick them all over. The moisture in the eggs will cause them to spatter a lot when cooking if you don’t clean them. When frying, pricking is also beneficial.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Shallow fry the eggs until they are browned from all sides
Take out the fried eggs on a plate and keep them aside
Make The Curry
- Warm up the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a pan before adding the cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, and green chilies. Add onions once everything has begun to sputter and fry until slightly browned.
- Now add ginger and garlic and fry until onions are nicely browned
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder garam masala,and salt. Let the tomatoes cook till they are pulpy, 6-8 minutes.
If the masala is getting too dry and is starting to burn from the bottom, splash a little water.
- The gravy will now boil once you’ve added 2 cups of water to the pot.
Add the boiled egg and mix well.
Simmer till the gravy reduces slightly and becomes thicker, about 5 minutes
Add Kasuri methi and mix well. and serve hot
- You can skip frying the eggs and add them directly to the curry.
- You can choose to keep the gravy thin, semi gravy or dry.
- Add cashew, almond, or poppy seed paste to the curry to make it richer. After cooking, heavy cream can also be added.
- This egg curry recipe can be easily doubled or tripled
Also read: Dal Makhani Recipe
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube