Badam halwa is a rich, decadent, nutty South Indian style melt in the mouth halwa made mainly with 3 ingredients – blanched almonds, ghee (clarified butter) and sugar.
A simple sweet confections or dense chewy dessert recipe prepared from crushed almond paste. halwa recipes and especially badam ka halwa are prepared during festival seasons like Diwali, Navaratri, Ganesh Chaturthi, and even Krishna Janmashtami.
This badam halwa recipe will make for one of the best almond halwa. It will surely remind you of the badam halwa that one gets in the South Indian sweets shops. This is a heavy dessert and just a few spoons of it is enough.
badam halwa is one such variety which falls under the nut’s category and is the most popular in its category. in this post, let’s see how to prepare this amazing almond halwa recipe.
Ingredients for Badam Halwa
- ½ cup almonds/badam
- 1 cup hot water to soak
- ⅓ cup water – to blend almonds
- ⅓ cup Ghee
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder / elachi powder
- few dry fruits (chopped)
- ½ cup sugar
- few Saffron strands (optional)
Instructions for Badam Halwa
- Rinse the almonds once or twice in fresh water.
- Then in a bowl, soak ½ cup badam in 1 cup boiling hot water.
- Cover and blanch the badam for 30 to 45 minutes. (you can even soak the badam overnight in water)
- Soak a few strands of Saffron (Kesar) in 2 tablespoons of warm milk. The addition of saffron is for the color and its aroma. (If you don’t have saffron you can skip it).
- further, peel the skin of badam ( just press each almond, and the skin comes out easily).
- Now add the blanched and peeled almonds in a grinder or blender.
Add ⅓ cup water and grind the almonds and blend to smooth paste. Do not make it too fine.
- Heat a thick-bottomed pan and keep the heat to a low.
- Now take all the almond paste into a pan.
add in a tbsp of ghee.
Continuously stir the almond paste and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes till you get their aroma.
furthermore, add ½ cup sugar and saute continuously so that the sugar is mixed evenly with the almond paste.
- Dissolve the sugar in the milk mixture.
The mixture will thicken and start to come together. After adding sugar cook on a low flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Now add the soaked saffron solution. Mix it very well.
now add half tbsp of ghee and stir. Stir and mix it very well.
stir till the mixture separates the pan and ghee oozes out from sides.
Stir and cook till the halwa starts lumping around itself and leaves the sides of the pan.
furthermore, add in ¼ tsp cardamom powder and mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- finally, serve badam halwa hot or chilled garnished with a few chopped nuts.
Tips and Variations
- firstly, cook the halwa on low to medium flame, to avoid burning.
- Kindly use a heavy pan or kadai, so that the halwa mixture does not stick to the pan.
- also, increase the amount of sugar for more sweet flavour.
- Use good quality almonds and ensure that they are not rancid.
- additionally, add yellow food colour to prepare attractive almond halwa recipe.
- finally, add more milk to adjust the consistency of badam halwa recipe.
Serve the badam ka halwa recipe warm or at room temperature and garnish with slivered pistachios and almonds.
Badam halwa tastes perfect when served warm, or you can serve it at room temperature. If you refrigerate badam pudding, it gets thick, so slightly warm it in a microwave before consuming it.
Also read: Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube