Jeera Aloo is an Indian side dish made with potatoes and cumin seeds! Jeera aloo is great for making as a filling and healthy lunch, or hearty side for any number of main dinner dishes.
It is perhaps one of the popular bachelor’s curries or sabzi recipes due to its simplicity and taste which can be prepared without many ingredients in less than 10 minutes.
Potatoes were one thing which we always had in our kitchen so a simple stir fry with potatoes or this jeera aloo with dal and rice and our dinner was sorted.
This simple recipe gets done in minutes and goes so well with a side of bread. You only need a handful of ingredients to make this Jeera Aloo.
Try it for a healthy and comforting lunch or as an addition to your favorite dinner dishes!
Ingredient for jeera aloo
- 500 grams potato, boiled and cubed
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1-inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 green chilli (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder
- salt as required
- pinch of hing
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- half lemon
Instruction for jeera aloo
- First, heat 2 tsp oil and cook 1 tbsp cumin seeds till they become fragrant.
- Add 2 green chillies and 1 inch of ginger. for one minute, sauté.
- Add turmeric, 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder, 1 teaspoon aamchur, a teaspoon of hing, and salt to taste while still maintaining a moderate flame.
- Avoid scorching the spices by sauteing at low heat.
- add two additional cubed, boiling potatoes. (I boiled potatoes under pressure for two whistles.)
- Let the potatoes cook for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat,
- potatoes have absorbed all spices.
- Next, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Add 1/4 cup of finely chopped coriander leaves to finish.
- serve jeera aloo with rice or chapati.
- make sure to cook spices on low flame, or else they might burn.
- jeera aloo recipe can also be prepared by adding roughly powdered roasted jeera.
- Refrigerate any leftovers for 1 to 2 days.
- you can reduce the chilli powder as per your taste, remember that you are adding green chillies too.
Serve jeera aloo warm or hot with your favorite bread, such as chapati, poori, or paratha. Along with dal and steamed rice, aloo jeera can be served as a side dish.
I love to serve it hot straight off the pan with some paratha. It’s the best combination!
Also read: Fish fry recipe (step by step)
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube